Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Debating on which brand to get

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2002, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debating on which brand to get

All my life I've always stood by the fact that tires on the car will keep you rolling safely and aggresively at times. I can easily spend thousands on performance parts for my car, but if I turn around and get cheap when it comes to tires, then all that money really won't show when my car is attached to a wall due to failure of tires. I just bought some Advan wheels for my Evo 5, model 7 in gold if anyone's interested. Now comes the question of which tires to get? I've posted a list of tires that I'm interested in getting. I know some of you have used several tires in the past, some stick to their favorites, others tend to try out new ones hoping to find that overall best handling, best performing on both wet/dry, consistency, durability, longevity, etc. Will people that read this post vote on which tires they like best? I've numbered them, so if you don't want to re-write or explain the reason why you like this particular tire, I'll understand since this question has been asked several times, yet never like this. At the end of a week, I'll add up the tire that got the most votes, and that's what I'll be purchasing. Thanks for all your replies ahead of time, now here's the list of my top 10 choices in no particular order:

(1) Michelin Pilot Sport
(2) Yokohama AVS dB
(3) Toyo Proxes FZ4
(4) Dunlop SP Sport 9000
(5) Kumho Ecsta MX
(6) Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico
(7) BFGoodrich Comp T/A ZR
(8) Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
(9) Pirelli P7000 and P7000 Supersport
(10) Kumho Ecsta V700

Old Mar 5, 2002, 05:00 AM

I had Pirelli P7000's on my GTI VR6 and was pleased with them. Great dry traction and good wet traction, especially for the price.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

From several auto-x whom I know really like the Kumho brand. I can't remember which specific one but, they seem to keep going back to them. The Toyo's are nice but, ppl have expressed their dissappointment in them citing lack of grip, breaking off chunks of tread at the track and, for how much they cost.
Currently, I have a set of Yoko A520's and I'm not displeased with them. They have good traction, no noise on the track and, not too expensive. The next set will be either Kumho or Dunlop SP9000 though.

Mike L.
Old Mar 6, 2002, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

Claudius, I'll take your word for it. Assimetricos were my choice after reading wazuptommi's post on the MLR.

cheers
Old Mar 6, 2002, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone have any experience using Falken Azenis tires?

Read some posts on Azenis' in an SCCA forum awhile back and everyone was happy with them. They are also used on Mine's Evo 5.

Curious about their performance.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 7, 2002, 09:44 PM

I agee with your jugement about the P zero (and peoples recommendation-habbits, too... )
What about the tyres the Evo7 comes with? ADVAN A-046

Any experiences yet?

FX
Old Mar 8, 2002, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by otaking
Anyone have any experience using Falken Azenis tires?

Read some posts on Azenis' in an SCCA forum awhile back and everyone was happy with them. They are also used on Mine's Evo 5.

Curious about their performance.
I've heard they're a pretty decent dry tire as far as longevity is concerned (tread wear of 200), but their rather hard rubber makes them slip and slide in the wet...