Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Coilover noise
Mine sound as quiet as stock and have zero noise.
23.03%
Mine make noise and i've learned to deal with it.
26.97%
Mine make noise and it drives me nuts!
46.71%
Mine made noise and I have found the cure!
3.29%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

The ultimate coilover noise thread...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah it is, but I've been too lazy to do it! (and my floor jack kicked the bucket on me) I put two sets of coilovers in the car in my garage, 1st a set of Cusco Zero 2 E's that didn't make sound for 10k! Then I thought it was them that started "knocking" but the day I put the DFVs in they made the same noise, which is why I'm not convinced it's the coilovers. I'm gonna have a few days off this week, I'm gonna try and swap the stockers in, if the noise is still there..............

Last edited by NY Evolutionary; Oct 20, 2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, now that the EVO is no longer my DD, I found the time to finally swap in the stock bilsteins to see if that cured the problem, and just as I suspected (hoped?) the noise was still there! (although it was slightly muted due to the rubber in the tophats).

What I DID realize while doing the swap, was that my Agency Power adjustable lower control arms were binding at the rear subframe. I could actually get them to make a similar noise, just moving the control arms by hand.

So long story long, I pulled them, put the stock arms back in, and guess what? No more f#%king knocking/clunking noise! I put the DFVs back in and still no noise.

I know this doesn't help anyone who has the "clunk" and doesn't have the Auto Power arms, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one with them.

Last edited by NY Evolutionary; Oct 24, 2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Control arms are Agency Power not Auto Power
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:50 AM

im riding on meagan coilovers which arnt the best but the rear makes a slight noise over bumps dosnt both me all that much
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My KW V3's have some clunking on the driver side front. Camber plates up front, stock in the rear. Its been worrying me a bit since its coming from one side not the other, that or maybe I can't hear it on coming from the passenger side.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm reviving this, because it's been killing me and I found out that it's the Spherical bearing in the camber plate. I found this little gem of info which states in the last paragraph of the link that,

For Pillowball Mounts Lithium Grease is the best choice as it would help decrease the bearing noise and provide protection.
All in all keeping the dampers clean and lubed will save you from any expensive repairs, down time, and headaches".

Also this is what they're talking about over on the sti board
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2084451
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some noises when turning my JIC FLT TAR coilovers in the front to the left or right. I ended up getting Swift Thrust Sheets and it solved the problem. I do get some noises from time to time so I guess I'll be getting lithium grease.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:09 PM

im riding with tein flexes and the only noise i get is from the rear, its not a clunk or anything but it squeaks at slow speeds over little bumps. i tried spraying them down with some lithium grease but made no difference, the squeek is not too loud so im ok with it. bottom line, all coilovers squeaks or clunks somehow.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:58 AM

could the lowered stance be affecting the tie rod ends/ball joints/stabilizer links/etc and putting more pressure than it was at stock height and the reason for the clunks?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Anymore info on this? I've been doing the lithium grease but it's not working anymore, they used to get quiet after I sprayed them but not anymore and the noise is killing me. I'll try to shoot some video of the sound Over the weekend, I may try and order a new bearing from the guys in the link i posted on the subaru forum above.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Muellerized Ohlins...never had any noise from them. But I drive an RS so noises are fairly common lol
Old May 11, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

I just did an install and write up of the Tein Silencer Rubber, in efforts to remedy the knock sound and the sound is pretty much 95% gone. Check out my vid pics and write up below, and I hope this helps.

http://iheartcz4a.wordpress.com/2012...d-fix-attempt/
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Good write up Evo Fan 08, mind if I ask which Tein spring silencer size worked for you? The solution still working for you five months later?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 06:02 PM

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I found a fix for the dreaded front end clunck that may help some of you.
2013 RA with FA 500 8k f/R. Started out super quiet, but after a couple months started clunking on the front passenger. I probably tore apart the front end half a dozen times trying to find something loose with no luck. Finally on a whim I unbolted the sway bar link and checked the joints...and found the lower joint completely wore out. I had checked it while bolted countless times and it never moved. As soon as I unbolted the top I could feel it. Swapped out with whiteline hd sway bar links and the noise is gone. Part# KLC163 in case you need any.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 07:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by jnmk32013
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I found a fix for the dreaded front end clunck that may help some of you.
2013 RA with FA 500 8k f/R. Started out super quiet, but after a couple months started clunking on the front passenger. I probably tore apart the front end half a dozen times trying to find something loose with no luck. Finally on a whim I unbolted the sway bar link and checked the joints...and found the lower joint completely wore out. I had checked it while bolted countless times and it never moved. As soon as I unbolted the top I could feel it. Swapped out with whiteline hd sway bar links and the noise is gone. Part# KLC163 in case you need any.
Your post confused me as the KLC163 is not for the EVO 8/9. Our part no. is the KLC139

Anyway had the same clunk & it was the WL endlink loose at the swaybar mount (common issue due to the WL stud size)
Old May 8, 2016, 02:00 AM
Sox

Pedders coilovers

Same problem my way ! Doing my head in , came to my attention that my RH side strut is leaking , mind you LH side got replaced not long ago !! Drive on bumpy road feels like shocks have hardly any travel !! Very noisy, hopefully new strut will fix problems, All my upper & lower control arm bushes are new , sway bar & links are tight & new ! Ball joints are fine , no movement what's so ever!!So it's got me stuffed !! See what happens when new insert goes in , Not holding my breath 😒

Quick Reply: The ultimate coilover noise thread...