Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Does your Evo pull right when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does your Evo pull right when accelerating?

I've found it hard to tell when my Evo is out of alignment. The quick steering and tendency for the tires to follow the road make the car pull one way or the other quite a bit.

But recently, I noticed it consistently pulling right, but only when I get on the gas. I have to be at fairly high speeds to see the effect, and the car seems to track straight when I am coasting or braking.

I've ruled out torque steer (AWD and I'm not losing traction), and the fact that it goes straight when coasting makes me think it's not alignment either.

A tech at Mitsubishi told me it's normal, "all cars torque to the right to avoid a head on collision if you lose control." But I've had the car for 2 years and I am only just now noticing it.

Does your Evo do this??? Maybe it is normal... Help a brother out!

Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

my car does not pull to the right when accelerating. if you're sure it's not your alignment, check your tire wear and pressure. if your tire pressures are mismatched, or one of your tires if considerably more worn than the others it could be causing this. also, does it happen on all road surfaces?

i know that around pittsburgh some of the roads look OK, but are so bad they will make you think there is a problem with the car.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no....
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

ha...hahahahah...hahahahahha boy does it. When doing a WOT pull in 3rd from 2500, the back end squats down and you can see the front lift upwards and then it pulls. very fun ride
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
my car does not pull to the right when accelerating. if you're sure it's not your alignment, check your tire wear and pressure. if your tire pressures are mismatched, or one of your tires if considerably more worn than the others it could be causing this. also, does it happen on all road surfaces?

i know that around pittsburgh some of the roads look OK, but are so bad they will make you think there is a problem with the car.
Haha. The roads here are so rough. The worst part of my commute is low speeds on terrible roads just before I get home. I feel like I just got off of a rollercoaster.

To the OP, if it doesn't pull right when you let go of the wheel at constant speed I wouldn't think it is the alignment, so I don't know what the problem is.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:45 AM

mine pulls to the right when i get on it than goes to the left when i let off the gas. this is after an alignment.. I need ot go to some other place to get it done and i think my little drifting action i did in my car a couple of years ago is not helping. messed up a lot of stuff under the car. lol..
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the help, guys. Maybe it has to do with the AWD drive system and the torque being split incorrectly...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by element26
mine pulls to the right when i get on it than goes to the left when i let off the gas. this is after an alignment.. I need ot go to some other place to get it done and i think my little drifting action i did in my car a couple of years ago is not helping. messed up a lot of stuff under the car. lol..

Go to Big 10 in Gulf Breeze. Go with me and my bud will hook us up. He is a co-manager there.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prodystopian
Haha. The roads here are so rough. The worst part of my commute is low speeds on terrible roads just before I get home. I feel like I just got off of a rollercoaster.

that is the god's honest truth.

it gets me everytime i drive it too. i think i am a hypochondriac for my car.

i wish they could figure out how to properly pave a road in this city. i've seen gravel rally stages that look smoother than some of the roads in the south hills by me.