Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ok to replace just one tire?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok to replace just one tire?

I got a nail in the sidewall of one of the stock A046s - apparently can't be repaired. The others have about 9K on them.

Should the tires be replaced in pairs - or do even all 4 have to be replaced to not put stress on the center diff?

Out of curiosity would there be any potential for damage in just replacing one tire (I assume handling would suffer at the very least)?
Old Oct 26, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

how much tread live is there on the other three?
milage dosent tell everything. you could put 100 miles of track day and have them smoked. or 20K freeway and have them in perfect shape.
that being said as long as its the same tire you shold be ok. i'd put it on the RR.

Tom
Old Oct 26, 2003, 09:14 PM

I rotated them at 5K. The (now)rear ones show more signs of wear, the front still looked pretty good (maybe 5~4mm).
Old Oct 26, 2003, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

As long as the 4th tire is the same size as the others, there will be no problem. But you could just buy a new set of 4 and keep the other 3 for a track day and buy 1 more to make it a complete set. Just my opinion. :-)