Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Replace SSR Competition with Type-C?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace SSR Competition with Type-C?

Getting warmer up here in Canada so I've started thinking about changing out the stock wheels with snows on them and getting my summers back on, but I have a small issue....... only 3 summer wheels.

So, I've been trying to replace the one wheel, but unfortunately I've found out the SSR Competitions have been discontinued long ago. It seems the new Type-C are basically the same wheel, so I'm hoping to avoid buying a new set of 4 and just replacing one with the new Type-C. (Oh yeah... I have an '03 EVO, stock suspension)

My old wheels are:

SSR Competition 17x8.5 +30 (The later version that did not need the 3mm spacer)

I'm hoping to replace 1 with:

SSR type-C RS 17x8.5 +31

I've done my searching, and although I was unable to find a thread explicitly talking about running these on an VIII, I did see a couple of sigs that had this exact rim on a IX. I know the clearance between the caliper and my old wheels is next to nothing... maybe 1-2 mm, so as long as the spoke hasn't changed too much I think I'll be ok.

I was also able to find a 1mm spacer online (I think), which I could use to get the same +30 offset.

So, it appears that I would end up with almost exactly the same wheel, (though I think the new Type-C is a little heavier?) and should have no problems going with this setup, though I'm still a little uneasy about mixing things up like this.

Does anybody see any problems with this? Anyone actually put the Type-C 17x8.5 +31 on an VIII ? Anything else I'm not thinking about here (besides needing to paint all 4 because the no longer have the machined lip and the color is slightly changed) ?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Cheers....
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:59 PM

i always thought the type-c and competition are the same wheels
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:26 AM

Talking to the SSR guy in CA, they are pretty close to the same wheel but have a slight difference with the lip and maybe a slight weight difference as well. Also, the Competition I have are +30 while the Type-C are +31.
I have read several places, though, that the Competition was the US version of the Type-C.... so I'm a little confused.
Either way, I think I'll just go for it.. Probably with the 1mm spacer to make sure everything is exact.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Mmmm those will look nice... always loved the SSR wheels.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just buy two and run them on the same end? That way the weights match, as do the offsets.

d
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:34 AM

That's an option I hadn't thought of. Not sure I want to spendthe extra $600 though. The ssr guy thinks it's a matter of ounces in he weight difference so I'm not sure it's justified. I'm still hoping to find a single used one. Like that'll happen...