Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2005, 09:00 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just found these on the Tire Rack site. I thought I would post them up since I have a thing for BBS wheels

Size Selected: 18x8
Price: $684 each
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Recommended Tire Size: 235/40-18
Wheel Offset: +40mm
** Lightweight: 20.3 lbs. **

http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/Call...filterSpecial=

Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those may not fit without a spacer. The OEM offset is +38mm and it is already damn close to hitting the calipers. +40 will most likely hit without a spacer
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:12 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
Those may not fit without a spacer. The OEM offset is +38mm and it is already damn close to hitting the calipers. +40 will most likely hit without a spacer
It is listed as a wheel that will fit on the Tire Rack site. The spokes appear to be fairly thin and have a bias to the outside of the wheel. A confirmation, however, from someone at Tire Rack about needing spacers or not would be great
Old Oct 19, 2005, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by jonpfive
CP-035 will fit, same as stock size, CP-S10 will fit with 36 off.
Thank you for the answer ^^
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTB
It is listed as a wheel that will fit on the Tire Rack site. The spokes appear to be fairly thin and have a bias to the outside of the wheel. A confirmation, however, from someone at Tire Rack about needing spacers or not would be great
Tire Rack would be much more qualified to answer the question then me I am just going off of experience with wheels above +38mm offsets.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have a definitive list of 17x9" wheels that fit the Evo?

And also

Preferably something that doesn't break the bank, i.e. not $500 a wheel.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Does anyone have a definitive list of 17x9" wheels that fit the Evo?

And also

Preferably something that doesn't break the bank, i.e. not $500 a wheel.
Are you looking for a cheap 17x9 wheel for autocross? (Saw your post on SCCAForums asking about STU setups...)

I went with the 17x9 5Zigen FN01R-C (+33 or +35 offset, I think).

The price was quite reasonable; I think I paid under $1K for four wheels including shipping. That was in April 2004, though -- haven't checked prices lately.

Here's a picture of them on the car at the 2004 Oscoda ProSolo:

Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbrennen
Are you looking for a cheap 17x9 wheel for autocross? (Saw your post on SCCAForums asking about STU setups...)

I went with the 17x9 5Zigen FN01R-C (+33 or +35 offset, I think).

The price was quite reasonable; I think I paid under $1K for four wheels including shipping. That was in April 2004, though -- haven't checked prices lately.

Here's a picture of them on the car at the 2004 Oscoda ProSolo:

Yes sir, that is most certainly what I'm looking for. Although, honestly I'm not a big fan of those wheels. But they may be my only option. I'm also aware that the Cobra R and it's many replica wheels fit the Evo. So that may be a cheap solution.

Do you think their will be much benefit running the 9" versus the 8.5" width for 245 size tires? I've been told the 245 Yoko's do not work well on an 8" width.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Do you think their will be much benefit running the 9" versus the 8.5" width for 245 size tires? I've been told the 245 Yoko's do not work well on an 8" width.
The only tires I've ever mounted on a rim wider than 8" have been Hoosiers, so I can't speak for any other tire brand. I doubt you would see any major performance difference between 8.5" vs. 9" width when talking about 245 tires. Unless you're competing for a national title, I'd probably pick a wheel based on price, weight, availability, and looks, rather than just focusing on width.

That's how I chose the FN01R-C -- the price and availability were great, and the weight and the looks were acceptable to me.

My biggest complaint about the FN01R-C is one that you wouldn't know unless you actually touched them -- the inside "corners" of the spokes are not rounded off at all. They're very sharp corners. Not sharp enough to cut you, but sharp enough that carrying a wheel around by the spokes can be uncomfortable without gloves. But I'm sure it's not the only wheel with that issue -- just the only one I've dealt with.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

The only tires I've ever mounted on a rim wider than 8" have been Hoosiers, so I can't speak for any other tire brand. I doubt you would see any major performance difference between 8.5" vs. 9" width when talking about 245 tires. Unless you're competing for a national title, I'd probably pick a wheel based on price, weight, availability, and looks, rather than just focusing on width.

That's how I chose the FN01R-C -- the price and availability were great, and the weight and the looks were acceptable to me.

My biggest complaint about the FN01R-C is one that you wouldn't know unless you actually touched them -- the inside "corners" of the spokes are not rounded off at all. They're very sharp corners. Not sharp enough to cut you, but sharp enough that carrying a wheel around by the spokes can be uncomfortable without gloves. But I'm sure it's not the only wheel with that issue -- just the only one I've dealt with.
Thanks for the help, I don't want to take this thread to O-T. I'll make a post over at the other forum.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Enkei RPF1, 17x8, 35mm offset, 5x114.3, standard 60-degree conical lug nut seat

These weigh 15.5 pounds each, and can be found for around $230 per wheel.

They fit without spacers; hub centering rings are needed, and should come with the wheels as long as you specify you want fitment for an Evo.
Nice - just ordered these in 17x9 and had to return them cause they would not clear the Brembos on front.

Too bad - they are nice and light!
Old Oct 21, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-Ron
Nice - just ordered these in 17x9 and had to return them cause they would not clear the Brembos on front.

Too bad - they are nice and light!
I hope you haven't returned them yet. You could've just slapped a small spacer on there.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by machron1
They use smaller than 17" on the WRC/Group N/etc cars, but they normally use smaller brakes made by companies like AP/Alcon. For your needs, you can swap out the Brembos to GSX brakes and use smaller wheels, but that would be a major PITA swapping back and forth. Unless you are really competing for points, I would say get a skinnier 17" rim if it will fit, or even just stock rims, and run someting like 225/45/17 or 215/50/17 snow/all-season tires for grip in the dirt.
this is from page 6-7 or something with regards to smaller rims. i posted my Q in another thread, but i guess will get more responses here as well. i want skinnier rims for the winter. maybe 17x7? i don't wanna pay more than 200-220 per rim. i'm going to mount blizzak ws50 on them. if there r no 17x7 that fit well without spacers, how narrow of a WS50 tire can i run on stock size 17x8 without probs? in the latter size i would most likely get the FN01R. what do u guys think would be a good rim/tire combo for my purposes?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
this is from page 6-7 or something with regards to smaller rims. i posted my Q in another thread, but i guess will get more responses here as well. i want skinnier rims for the winter. maybe 17x7? i don't wanna pay more than 200-220 per rim. i'm going to mount blizzak ws50 on them. if there r no 17x7 that fit well without spacers, how narrow of a WS50 tire can i run on stock size 17x8 without probs? in the latter size i would most likely get the FN01R. what do u guys think would be a good rim/tire combo for my purposes?
I pulled up some 17x7" wheels on discount tires site. If you're stuck with a 17x8, I wouldn't run anything smaller than a 215. With the 7" rim, 205-195 width.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:29 AM

17 X 9.5

Does anyone make wheels in this size that fit the evo?

Quick Reply: Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions