Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stance Coilover Noise!!!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have rubber mounts on my coilovers, still noisy.
So I guess hey no matter what coilovers you have, some or most will make noise.............
So Im sure we can put our thinking caps on and find a solution to this noisy problem....

Last edited by jayjungja; Jun 21, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by igo4bmx
you may need helper springs...

these springs add tension so when the spring compresses quickily and bounces back- the strut can't keep up with the movement of the spring. the spring then "clunks" against the top perch making the noise.

helper springs provide tension to keep a GAP from forming when driving.
The last sentence is correct in that helpers prevent a gap from forming; the rest of the above is incorrect or expressed poorly as to be misleading.

Helper springs are not involved in bump. Helper springs keep the main spring under at least slight compression in droop, mostly to keep that main spring lined up with the hat for when the wheel comes back up (relative to the chassis).

Unless the OP drives like a maniac on the street, the problem s/he is reporting does not involve the main spring becoming unseated, so the problem will not be solved with a helper spring.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:59 AM

So what we all want to know is where is the noise coming from and how it can be resolved.... and this is in the case of coilovers that are relatively new and bolts are all tightened up.
The noise must come from the springs on how they sit. Usually when you jack up the car the springs are loose, so when the car is down and traveling there must be some free space for the springs to move and knock againts something, metal againts metal.
What can it be in that area that makes a metal to metal sound remains to be answered????
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

After re-reading the original post, I don't think this has anything to do with the suspension. My guess is that it's drivetrain related.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:47 AM

Cant be the drive train, before my coil overs I had down springs with no noise, then i wanted to slam my car down more so i installed coil overs, then thats when the noise started. So it has to do with that area, i'm sure of it.....
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:20 PM

In my case the sound is from the movement of the spring. It seems that the ball joint betwerern the shock and the camber plate in one of the front coilovers is too tight so when i turn in close corners or the care make any little jump for a road imperfection, instead of ocurring a ball joint movement, the spring itself moves. Ive already try lubricating the joint area but it just stop the problem temporally (1-3 days) and then the sound starts again. If i cant find the solution i will probably migrate to an european brand, its sad to know that stance`s quality is probably as poor as megan racing, ksport, bc, d2, etc.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:32 PM

Hi renxo
Could you tell me where exactly is the ball joint that you add grease, i would like to try that or anything to get rid the noise.....thx
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:40 PM

H
Originally Posted by jayjungja
Hi renxo
Could you tell me where exactly is the ball joint that you add grease, i would like to try that or anything to get rid the noise.....thx
Hi mate, the ball joint is the one in the camber plate, you could even see it when you lift your hood. I used wurth joint`s lub, i lubricate the joint with the coilovers out of the car. Hope it helps in something, keep us informated please. Cheers.-
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jayjungja
Cant be the drive train, before my coil overs I had down springs with no noise, then i wanted to slam my car down more so i installed coil overs, then thats when the noise started. So it has to do with that area, i'm sure of it.....
If you changed the height of the car, then you changed the angle of both the outer and inner CV joints. I've seen more than one case of swapping suspension bits causing a driveline noise to emerge.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inameng
I have this same problem with my Stance coilovers as well. I've tightened the top bolts too but that only fixed a rattling problem I had in the beginning.

Someone said it could have something to do with my endlinks, but they could be wrong as well. :/ Mine makes noises when I turn the wheel at low speeds AND it comes from the front passenger side of my car (or both sides in front) too... What the heck, Stance?
Funny, Stance coilovers too for me. And same noise. i pulled front pass wheel off and twisted the spring a full 90 deg , also sprayed a bunch of WD40 in the pillow joint area , and i have not heard a noise since.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

If the spring in binding in rotation, the solution is a Torrington bearing.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:20 AM

i had this exact same problem.. i talked to cbrd and the problem is that they have low qualtiy spherical bearings and the valving sucks.. basically they will just make a **** load of noise for no reason..
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TougeGod7
notice how all the ppl saying they have problems with their coilovers making sounds have cheap coilovers
Spherical bearing will wear and tear over time. It will happen.
We have replaced the pillow ball bearings on two Ohlins DFV coilovers due to same issue.
Unmodified Evo X owners have same issues on OEM STOCK suspension. One of them had less then 8,000 miles, we replaced the upper mount, and problem solved.

It will happen.

Contact STANCE, they will take care of the issue at hand.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Touge Factory
Spherical bearing will wear and tear over time. It will happen.
We have replaced the pillow ball bearings on two Ohlins DFV coilovers due to same issue.
Unmodified Evo X owners have same issues on OEM STOCK suspension. One of them had less then 8,000 miles, we replaced the upper mount, and problem solved.

It will happen.

Contact STANCE, they will take care of the issue at hand.
Does winter weather affect the rate of wear of the pillow ball bearings? During the summer months, i had no noise issue. Once winter hits with the dirt and slush on the road, the co's started making noises as if it was ready to fall apart
Old Jun 4, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tein rubber silencer, coil over knock sound fix

Hey guys, I've found a solution to this knocking sound that I was experiencing with my coil overs and it wasn't the spherical bearing, the sound was happening when the coil would compress and turn in it's perch. This Rubber Silencer from Tein, took the sound away completely here's my installation video.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjsvision/7154343423/http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjsvision/7154343423/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/bjsvision/, on Flickr

Quick Reply: Stance Coilover Noise!!!!! Help