Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lower tie rod question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower tie rod question

My front passenger tie rod has started to loosen and I'm wondering if there are any aftermarket tie rod setups out there that may be a little stronger than factory. Also, do I need to replace the entire rack and pinion or could I just buy a new tie rod?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
There are inner and outer tie rods. No you dont have to replace the steering rack. Both are replaceable.

Whiteline makes outers as part of their roll center correction kit and Moonface makes inners and outers.

Not sure if companies such as Moog have EVO replacements yet but certainly the dealer would.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:03 AM

This whole suspension this has got me all types of confused. I went to get an alignment and they tech showed me where it was lose and moving. I am looking at getting coilovers but I need to fix those tie rods frost. I googled tie rods for Eco and found nothing at all.

I'll check out the whiteline setup. Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, where is it moving?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark_Side_VIII
My front passenger tie rod has started to loosen and I'm wondering if there are any aftermarket tie rod setups out there that may be a little stronger than factory. Also, do I need to replace the entire rack and pinion or could I just buy a new tie rod?

What you might need are the tie rod ENDS, thats different than the tie rod itself. There are companies that make aftermarket outers, but for the inners I dont think so. Could be wrong. If you replace the inners you will have to remove the boot and all that fun stuff.
The inner tie rod end might be incorporated into the tie rod itself, btw.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Both inner and outer tie rod ends are replaceable. Yes for the inners the boot will need ot come off and using a standard inner tie rod end tool will unscrew them.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:41 AM

Sooooo....replacing my tie rod ends should set me straight? My my tire move when i wiggle it on the lift. Drivers side is solid, though.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark_Side_VIII
Sooooo....replacing my tie rod ends should set me straight? My my tire move when i wiggle it on the lift. Drivers side is solid, though.
That's not enough information to be ordering parts on. I'd suggest you raise the front of the vehicle (be safe when doing this), remove the wheel and check the outer ball joint for play. If you grab the hub and move it back and forth as when steering you should be able to actually see movement in the tie rod end joint . If no, then keep looking until you find the source of movement.

If this is beyond your abilities then have it put back on a lift and do the same search.

My experience is that when one tie rod end is shot the other is soon to follow. So, if you find one bad you might as well replace both.