Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Any need for extra bracing on Evo9.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Any need for extra bracing on Evo9.

Just started the whole Evo thing after buying a pretty stock Aussie spec Evo 9. I've got a Volvo 850 T5 which really was improved, handling wise, with the addition of a front strut brace. Was wondering if a rear strut brace, or other, would improve the already pretty amazing handling of my Evo or whether the addition would be a waste of money. Any thoughts or experiences?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I think it depends what your plans are. I have an Evo IX-MR for street use and ocassional track days. I have added the full Cusco under brace chassis system, Carbing rear floor bar, Carbing 3-point front strut tower brace (with brake master cylinder stopper), Nagisa front fender braces and the WORKS (USA) 4-point trunk cage. It handles amazingly!

For my use, I am crazy happy with the results! Just driving to work everyday, etc. is a fantastic experience! I'll hit some track days in the new year. Some people might tell you that it's 'overkill', but for my purpose, I am so happy and that's what counts!

Good luck!

Last edited by NJ9MR; Nov 29, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Waste of money. Spend that money on other handling items first.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bilstein struts, some quality springs (robi gtwoks swift), and matching sway bars with good rubber and proper size wheels and you will be more than happy. all the other stuff is more bling factor than anything else. save your money and invest elsewhere, including seat time to find the "deficiencies" of the car so you can mod from there.

just my 0.02. good luck
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smike
Waste of money. Spend that money on other handling items first.
+1

Hell, my car is a track car - and I haven't added said bar!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks guys, good info and ideas.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Bracing on the Evo falls into the "least bang for your buck" category. A lot of other areas will give you much bigger improvements over bracing.

l8r)
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

The car was built for Group-N Rally... Why would you think it needs extra bracing?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

^ Because it still has to be streetable for the general public who buys it...If you're going to rally it, your adding bracing: Roll Cage & other interior bracing, etc.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I heard the only bracing that actually makes a difference is fender bracing, and that it's a relatively significant difference. I looked into all these sorts of things a few months ago https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eakpoints.html
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
I heard the only bracing that actually makes a difference is fender bracing, and that it's a relatively significant difference. I looked into all these sorts of things a few months ago https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eakpoints.html
How much are the fender braces generally? How time consuming is it to install?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

I have a trunk cage and the 6point underbrace.. Once ur car is maxxed out handling wise, i feel the braces help with rigidity. But dont get them to make the car handle better.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
How much are the fender braces generally? How time consuming is it to install?
The JDM Nagisa fender bars can cost between $300.00 - $400.00 . Installation is about two hours. Take the fenders off and two mouting points are behind the door hinges. Drill one small hole on each side of the fender chassis area, align the front doors and you are ready!

Despite the negative responses, if you like your car to feel rigid, being a daily driver, or a track car, I feel this is a great mod, along with the chassis under bracing! I did these mods for me, not for them!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 05:22 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kanyonkid
I have a trunk cage and the 6point underbrace.. Once ur car is maxxed out handling wise, i feel the braces help with rigidity. But dont get them to make the car handle better.
I have a trunk cage, as well, and would like a 6-point underbrace. I can't say the cage was responsible for a jump in handling and response, but I really like having it. To me, a rigid car is a better car, even if in theory. My Evo, too, seem to have less rattles (as in none) than many others. Mostly, I think it's due to the car never getting screwed-up - it's almost stock - but I also think that additional bracing may have had something to do with it. Hard to say. Ultimately, opening the trunk and seeing the cage there makes me smile.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 05:24 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ9MR

Despite the negative responses, if you like your car to feel rigid, being a daily driver, or a track car, I feel this is a great mod, along with the chassis under bracing! I did these mods for me, not for them!
With all the bracing, do you notice many (less/more?) buzzes and rattles in the cabin?

Quick Reply: Any need for extra bracing on Evo9.