Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brakes Squeal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Brakes Squeal

ALL OF A SUDDEN my brakes start to squeal when coming to a stop from 5mph to 1mph otherwise it does not squeak..

Do i need to change my brake pads? I dont think so because there is still a lot of meat left on the pads in the front and i just changed the rear 1 month ago.. I dont believe there is a rock in the brembos because its been like this for about 3 weeks. So maybe i still need to change the pads? Idk what to do.. any advice or info would help. Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably just need to go by your local auto parts store and pick up some anti squeel for your pads. If you're worried it's the pads then pull them and visually inspect them, the calipers, and rotors to make sure everything is in good working condition. More than likely you just need some anti squeel.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha I know exactly how you feel. I'm suffering from the same issue. I just wave when people look lol. My brakes are part of my next dealer service which is next week and I'll post on here what they said
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

mine squeal sometimes, pedal feels great *shrugs* cause racecar
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Frew
mine squeal sometimes, pedal feels great *shrugs* cause racecar
Are you running the metal shims that came on the car? Owners that don't reuse these shims seem to have the most trouble with brake noise. Then use some stiff grease between the shim and the piston.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoLai
Haha I know exactly how you feel. I'm suffering from the same issue. I just wave when people look lol. My brakes are part of my next dealer service which is next week and I'll post on here what they said
Yes please update this post. lol. This is annoying when the damn car looks so good.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Are you running the metal shims that came on the car? Owners that don't reuse these shims seem to have the most trouble with brake noise. Then use some stiff grease between the shim and the piston.
As far as I know these brakes have never been touched, pads have about half life and the rotors have a pretty decent wear lip on them
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Do a couple hard brakings from 60-70mph down to 40 ish or so and the noise should go away.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Frew
As far as I know these brakes have never been touched, pads have about half life and the rotors have a pretty decent wear lip on them
The OEM rear pads are good or 35-40K, the fronts a little more. So, if your mileage is more than that...........
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, I dunno, no reason to replace them if they are working fine, the "squeaky" hinge gets the oil right? lol
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:58 PM

anti squeal and new shims should sort this issue out...although you may need new pads if they havent ever been touched
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine squeal a lot and I drive a X
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:05 PM

Sorry for the late update TxFAkuma. I went to the track the day before for a time attack event and now I don't have brake squeal anymore. I guess you gotta show them who's boss lol
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoLai
Sorry for the late update TxFAkuma. I went to the track the day before for a time attack event and now I don't have brake squeal anymore. I guess you gotta show them who's boss lol
^^^^On OEM pads?!?! Are you sure you dont mean autox?
Did you properly bed the pads?

Sorry I got off subject. When you recently replaced your pads did you replace your rotors too? If not did you have them turned? If no to both those questions does the outer edge of your rotor have a lip, and how many miles are on those rotors?

The reason I ask is that lip on the rotor can cause noise coming to a stop from very slow speeds, and even make noise when slowly leaving a stop up to 5-8mph. I see it a lot when Porsche customers cheap out and just buy pads and leave the worn rotors.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by mouseIX
^^^^On OEM pads?!?! Are you sure you dont mean autox?
Did you properly bed the pads?

Sorry I got off subject. When you recently replaced your pads did you replace your rotors too? If not did you have them turned? If no to both those questions does the outer edge of your rotor have a lip, and how many miles are on those rotors?

The reason I ask is that lip on the rotor can cause noise coming to a stop from very slow speeds, and even make noise when slowly leaving a stop up to 5-8mph. I see it a lot when Porsche customers cheap out and just buy pads and leave the worn rotors.
They told me that I have plenty of pad left and there's no lip on my rotors. It was just a small local track I go to and after 2 events on stock everything besides springs (swift spec r's), no more noise. I will be replacing the pads with hawk ones but ya everything worked out fine. I'm at 20,000 kms sorry too lazy to convert to miles
I've had my car for a year now and thoroughly impressed with the handling. Caught the mod disease too and starting to collect parts in my garage lol