Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

crazy stock rotors

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
crazy stock rotors

has anyone seen anything this bad before from their stock rotors? these rotors have over 4mm of wear.

whats crazy is, the front 2 were almost 2lbs difference in size.

heres a comparison from the front stock vs a Girodisc ultra light rotor that is replacing the stock ones..

a normal car will get 28lbs lighter with the girodisc rotors i got.. mine only saved 10lbs.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jul 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What pads were you running? Some wear the rotors down faster.

BTW, where did you get the Girodisc Ultra Light rotors? I'm gonna need a set of those soon for my brake job.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fantrman
What pads were you running? Some wear the rotors down faster.

BTW, where did you get the Girodisc Ultra Light rotors? I'm gonna need a set of those soon for my brake job.
Im a Girodisc dealer if you need anything let me know. Direct from Girodisc. Great guys over there also.. very happy to run their parts!

I dont know what pads it had on it, but i am going to replace the old ones for Girodisc magic pads mid next week
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Great. From reading an older thread, I thought the Ultra Light rotors were special order and only made in batches. Good to know you can get them. I'll be contacting you soon for a set.

My rotors look about as bad as yours and still on the original pads with about 50K miles. How many miles on your car?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow, talk about abrasive pads.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

You bought it new?

Originally Posted by tscompusa

I dont know what pads it had on it,
Sounds like those rotors were cut a few times to me.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Sounds like those rotors were cut a few times to me.
no clue.. i bought the car when it had 45K on it. it has i think now 52K.

car never pulled one side or the other when braking.. everything seemed fine to me.

Great. From reading an older thread, I thought the Ultra Light rotors were special order and only made in batches. Good to know you can get them. I'll be contacting you soon for a set.

My rotors look about as bad as yours and still on the original pads with about 50K miles. How many miles on your car?
our cars are both around the same mileage. i think im at 51-52K. i never changed a brake pad in my life.. so this will be the first time. looks easy on the evo though

Ya definitely contact me ill get you set up with a set. they look real nice and are very light.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jul 15, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those rotors had been turned... A LOT.

Good thing you don't run road courses, those thin jobs would have cracked first session most likley.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

^^ I'm not so sure the rotors were turned. I've seen this before on original OEM rotors/pads at the end of their life. My M3 went 119K miles on the original pads/rotors and looked the same way, maybe worse. Tom, your stock rotors look to have a good-size ridge or step around the outside edge where the pads did not touch the rotor surface. This is normal and indicates how far the pads wore down into the rotor surface. The depth of the step should indicate how much the rotors wore down. I suspect if you measure the width of the rotor at this ridge it would be close to new thickness. Just a thought.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

these rotors

^^ I'm not so sure the rotors were turned. I've seen this before on original OEM rotors/pads at the end of their life.
are flat and no or very little lip.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

^^ I'm not so sure the rotors were turned. I've seen this before on original OEM rotors/pads at the end of their life. My M3 went 119K miles on the original pads/rotors and looked the same way, maybe worse. Tom, your stock rotors look to have a good-size ridge or step around the outside edge where the pads did not touch the rotor surface. This is normal and indicates how far the pads wore down into the rotor surface. The depth of the step should indicate how much the rotors wore down. I suspect if you measure the width of the rotor at this ridge it would be close to new thickness. Just a thought.
yes there is a step on the outside edge.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Look at this, OEM rotor, not so thicker than yours:

The Girodisc lightweight rotor plain part "looks" much thinner than a non lightweight OEM rotor. And looking at the picture, "I THINK" that the girodisc lightweight rotors are overall thicker than new OEM rotors. So the piston would sit a little further in the calipers. But maybe it's just your pictures that fooling me I do not know if it's possible for an aftermarket rotor to be overall thicker than a stock one.
Maybe Martin from Girodisc could chime in and help us with that.

Man! You already had lightweight rotors.
Here is a zoomed pic of them: OMG the inner part is dangerously thin hahaha:

My old rotors looked thicker than that when I replaced them a week ago (20kmiles on stock brembos ultra dusting pads, and 40kmiles with Girodisc magic pads, which are easy on the rotors). Maybe the last owner did put used turned rotors on your car, which would be very cheap from him.

And about weighting your old ones: this could help some people in the "Post your exact weight reduction done" thread. I may post your results when I'll come back home.

Last edited by domyz; Jul 17, 2012 at 03:59 PM.