Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Billet uprights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Billet uprights

ive been looking around and havnt found too many folks making these,i know MSI make some ,any others around with corrected suspension pickup points
Old Aug 6, 2013, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

nobody has any info on these,i can get some in the UK but id rather buy American seeing as how I live and work here
Old Aug 6, 2013, 05:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Kevin

Youre referring to these, Not that I have anything to say about them other than an impressive high end upgrade

Old Aug 6, 2013, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shiny fancy.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
As you mentioned, MSI was making some at one point. The SSE car was running a setup too. I seem to remember MSI saying they were theirs, but the pictures you can find of them clearly don't match the MSI units that were available.

I've got some designed and just about ready for machining but I have no immediate plans of getting them made. The difficult thing about a company doing something like these is making them work with the other stock parts. You can eliminate so many of the OEM compromises and add so many great features at zero expense on the upright. The problem is, it would require everything touching the upright to be changed, which on a full out build is exactly what is being done anyway. Radial mount calipers? Sure. Double shear adjustable tie-rods? Absolutely. Adjustable steering ratio? No problem. Double shear LCA mount? Hell yeah, combine it with new control arms and a modified sub-frame and you have perfect geometry with the car nearly sitting on the ground. MASSIVE wheel bearings to greatly improve hub stiffness? Why not add some Off-The-Shelf ceramic wheels bearings while you are at it?

Building a billet upright that works with the stock stuff just seems silly considering the type of car that really needs something like this.

Evolutionary was working on a roll center correction kit and adjustable tie-rods that actually would do something meaningful to the roll center (unlike the Whiteline setup). THAT is what would be the better answer for 99.99% of the EVO guys out there that want a very low car with good geometry.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Aug 6, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
Part of me wants to design a hub and lower control arm to make a proper double wishbone setup and just bump myself into XP. Then of course that sounds like a ton of irreversible work
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Part of me wants to design a hub and lower control arm to make a proper double wishbone setup and just bump myself into XP. Then of course that sounds like a ton of irreversible work
LOL yes indeed. LOL again

but what a setup it would be......oh and it needs to be front and rear

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Aug 7, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Kevin

Youre referring to these, Not that I have anything to say about them other than an impressive high end upgrade

Amazing and after all that work use the stock endlinks for the swaybar? Yikes
Old Aug 7, 2013, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Those that are pictured are for the rear but im interested in the front,everything is going to be custom as im building a partial tube frame evo,ill post that story later haha
Ive been looking at a bunch of ways to improve the car and double wishbone was in the fore front of my mind but there are so many good handling cars out there that are Mac strut I basically ditched that idea mainly because I had already bought my KW 3 ways,again because the chassis will mainly be tube frame im currently thinking about ditching the front subframe all together and having the control arms attach to the frame rather than a removable subframe,the motor would easily be removed from the front with the removable front end and I have a dry sump now that's going in so I have plans to lower the c/g of the motor too
Only problem for me is im not an engineer and math was not my best subject at school so tryinbg to figure out all the geometry has been hard
So I was kinda thinking I can fix the geometry from the mounts rather than where they locate to but still have it all fully adjustable

Last edited by flyingscot; Aug 7, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

oh and thanks for the replies guys
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
sit tight. a cheaper solution is coming.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
sit tight. a cheaper solution is coming.
you got me licking my lips now,can you pm me any details,very interested
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm raping wheel bearings so I'm looking forward to a better solution for sturdiness in that department.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
I'm raping wheel bearings so I'm looking forward to a better solution for sturdiness in that department.
I done a front set of wheel bearings in 3 track days
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingscot
I done a front set of wheel bearings in 3 track days
how tight was the axle nut?

Quick Reply: Billet uprights