Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fixing a mildly lowered evo's alignment issues.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing a mildly lowered evo's alignment issues.

So I'm here to pick the brains of the suspension folks.

I purchased my evo with a set of Tein springs on it, and while i normally HATE lowered cars, the 1in-ish drop it gave the car is growing on me. when i park it next to my black Evo i wish it sat like my white one...

But, i cant seem to get the car to align correctly. the front tire is wearing excessively on its inner edge. i had it checked and the toe is OK but the camber is negative. is there enough adjustment in the stock camber bolts to fix this or should i invest in a set of camber plates / aftermarket camber bolts?

My next question is about the rear suspension - are aftermarket adjustable toe control links needed / worth it or does the stock rear adjustment give enough range to correct for the toe change from lowing the car?

I want to get my hands on the parts before i visit my favorite alignment shop so i can swap them on the car.

thanks for the help guys!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In the frt---the problem is toe related not camber. Toe should be set at 0.
for the rear, whiteline does some off set bushings to help with alignment.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
In the frt---the problem is toe related not camber. Toe should be set at 0.
for the rear, whiteline does some off set bushings to help with alignment.
toe is 0deg. camber is more negative then i would like.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
the Tien springs are garbage, just FYI
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

^^this^^

OP why are you being so vague about you alignment spec? What are they?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

First thing to do would be share your alignment spec sheet. The whole thing. Then we can help you and as mentioned tien springs are no bueno for the evo.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

not trying to be vague.

Just trying to post from work and my ninja skills are lacking.

Im not the biggest fan of the tein springs, and I have a set of GT worx springs with matched B8 bilsteins but i cant / havent yet decided on what car to put them on.

another missing piece of the puzzle is that my GF wants my white MR, the lowered one, and she loves it. so i might be "forced" into sorting out the alignment on this car at its lowered ride height.

the alignment specs i had the car set at was 0deg toe and factory camber. but the camber was still too negative (outside the spec) when things were finished. Im not 100% sure, but i am fairly confident that the tech did swap the bolt around (to the 2deg capable side) and it still wasent correct.

thus, im wondering if they sell a camber bolt with 3 or 4deg capability or if i need an adj top mount / camber plate.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

I you want less camber why do you have the camber bolts set for more? Get rid of those springs they are known to cause havoc.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

wait for those teins to sag then put 9 degrees camber in the front and 12 in the rear. STANCE. I'm kidding do not do this. Buy swift spec-R's then get a good alignement at stock specs.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:30 PM

Decent teins are one of the best suspension set up's you can buy if done properly.

I have camber plates on the front which is why i have no camber on there at the moment and the rears havn't been touched yet.

I have even wear on the front tyres.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06Black
not trying to be vague.

Just trying to post from work and my ninja skills are lacking.

Im not the biggest fan of the tein springs, and I have a set of GT worx springs with matched B8 bilsteins but i cant / havent yet decided on what car to put them on.

another missing piece of the puzzle is that my GF wants my white MR, the lowered one, and she loves it. so i might be "forced" into sorting out the alignment on this car at its lowered ride height.

the alignment specs i had the car set at was 0deg toe and factory camber. but the camber was still too negative (outside the spec) when things were finished. Im not 100% sure, but i am fairly confident that the tech did swap the bolt around (to the 2deg capable side) and it still wasent correct.

thus, im wondering if they sell a camber bolt with 3 or 4deg capability or if i need an adj top mount / camber plate.

Post a picture of your tires so we can see it. You had the car set 0 toe front and rear? You say the camber was too negative, give us the exact numbers (all of them) off the sheet. Don't say not enough or too much. Alignments work in exact numbers, give us the numbers. The tech should be swapping them from the 2deg side to create less camber not to the 2 deg side. No they do not make a bolt that is more than the stock 2. If the alignment can't be achieved then you have problems elseware in the steering/suspension or you need a new shop.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
white line roll center kit helped me get my suspension back in order..... just saying.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bumpnz
Decent teins are one of the best suspension set up's you can buy if done properly.

I have camber plates on the front which is why i have no camber on there at the moment and the rears havn't been touched yet.

I have even wear on the front tyres.
Not to off track this thread, but no, false virtually all tein springs sag (badly) within a couple years. And as for their coils, while I don't have first hand experience with them, I've heard some pretty bad things about the valving, even on the more expensive ones.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MechTech
Post a picture of your tires so we can see it. You had the car set 0 toe front and rear? You say the camber was too negative, give us the exact numbers (all of them) off the sheet. Don't say not enough or too much. Alignments work in exact numbers, give us the numbers. The tech should be swapping them from the 2deg side to create less camber not to the 2 deg side. No they do not make a bolt that is more than the stock 2. If the alignment can't be achieved then you have problems elseware in the steering/suspension or you need a new shop.
I just found the last alignment sheet. I'll post numbers soon / tonight.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by ThatOneKid
Not to off track this thread, but no, false virtually all tein springs sag (badly) within a couple years. And as for their coils, while I don't have first hand experience with them, I've heard some pretty bad things about the valving, even on the more expensive ones.
But you can re-valve them and re-build them if required. Not many other brands can be fixed back up.

The market is flooded with crap suspension that claim to do so many things but in reality it does next to nothing.

People rate Bilstein shocks but my leaked badly not long after brand new, got them replaced and the same happened.

Luck of the draw at times.

Quick Reply: Fixing a mildly lowered evo's alignment issues.