Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anyone has problem with noise from the tire?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone has problem with noise from the tire?

Anyone here with the Evo VIII has problem with the noise from the tire? Everytime the car slow down, especially when getting out from the highway, the tire seems to be noisy. Some people tell me it might be the wheel bearings, but I'm not to sure. I know that the Advan make more noise than regular tires. I don't know if it suppost to be that lound.

Help~~~~
Old Mar 19, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in the same boat as you...I think it's nomal.
Anybody care to chime in to this..
Old Mar 19, 2004, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

My tires are also very noisy. I think it has to do with the fact that the tires are made from such a soft material that is made for performance. Usually, your cheaper tires last longer and are not that noisy.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Mar 19, 2004, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I was about to go to Lime Rock this weekend, but just got the cancellation e-mail...pissed about that, but to stay on topic, I was just informed of this and will be checking out the bearings and seeing what, if anything, can be done.

My car has made this noise since "new", so I do not know if it's an improper press from the factory or a defective part. I'm hoping it's the former and not the latter.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 09:44 PM

I also notice this noise since I bought it new, if you guys also has this problem then I guess that is just the way this car is made. I didn't really bother me much, still, I might have Mitsubishi check on it just incase. A friend of mine say that the tire noise on the Evo is the same with his Accord when the wheel bearings were worn out.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 06:35 AM

The noise is probably due to uneven wear. The uneven wear can take the form of cupping where the treads have certain depressions in it which cause unevenness around the circumference of the tire. Uneven wear can also be caused by turning more to the right than the left and vice versa. If you take aggressive right hand turns then you should also take aggressive left hands turns if it is safe to do so.

I had this problem after a few thousand miles, rotated the tires and the noise was much less. But after a few more thousand miles, of course the noice comes back. Something we must tolerate due to the sticky nature of our stock tires.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Cute theory, too bad it still does it with my snow tires (Blizzak LM-22's).