Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Possible Strange Source Rotor Swap for ES

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2002, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Strange Source Rotor Swap for ES

Okay, this is the culmination of some discussion Pjal and myself have been having about the possibility of replacing the stock rotors of the ES with some like stock rotors with options like cross drilled/slotted/vented rotors that are offered by companies like AEM. The obvious one for ES users is the Mirage, since the rotor is the same size, width, lug pattern, etc. Now, what’s not obvious is the Honda Civic. We got to thinking, and since the ES shares the same lug pattern, which is crucial, it is possible that if another set of factors can be proven to be the same (like spacing, hat size, and issues with the caliper placement/ability to set [Pjal can fill you in on the more technical aspects… I’ve slept since we had the discussion… sorry Paul], and basic dimensions). But, as crazy as this sounds, it might be possible. A long shot, by far the longest I can think of, but, who knows? The way to check this is by either a) going to a junkyard and getting a rotor and comparing, measuring, or b) doing the same, but with a friend’s Civic component. I personally don’t know a person on a friendly basis that owns a Civic, but, as many as there are out there, surely there must be one of you that knows one. This could be made easier if the dimensions of an ES rotor could be posted by some brave soul willing to take apart their brake components for the good of the cause. I would do this myself, but I have neither the know-how, required resources, or the bravery. I’m hoping either a member will do this, or even a vendor that caters to both the Mitsubishi and Honda crowd that might be browsing the forum.. Pjal, if you’ll fill them in on the technical details?

This is crazy enough that it just might work, and if it does, the benefits can be reaped in the vast number of rotor replacements available for the Civic, as well as the inexpensiveness of the parts caused by the amount of them on the market. If you’d tried and looked for rotor replacements for the Mirage, you’d see that the problem is exactly what the Honda swap would fix. Cost and availability. Let’s see if we can write Ripley’s Believe it or Not on this one. Seriously, though, this is not precisely likely, but, it’s not exactly UNlikely either.