Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tein Flex Z "B" Measurement Setting Value

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tein Flex Z "B" Measurement Setting Value

Hello, I just got a TEIN Flex Z coilover..I have a 2006 Evo 9 MR with Evo 10 Enkei wheels. The TEIN Flex Z "B " length is currently set to 67mm (Front) and 126mm (Rear) coming out of the box (from manufacturer). To lower the car, one need to turn and lower the value of B to xx mm. To someone here who is using this coilover, can you tell me what is the optimal "B" length when you lower your car (granted your wheel is 18 also)? This will save me time on height adjustments. I was thinking setting"B" from 67mm to 42mm Front and 126mm to 106mm Rear. Can anyone please help me out if this is ok? Thank you.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I got it...the lever ratio is 1.4 so to lower by 20mm= 20/1.4 =14.28 so at 67mm subtract 14.28= 52.7mm this will be my Front lowered by 20mm. For rear, 15mm/1.4=10.71mm, so at 126mm subtract 10.71=115.3mm will be my Rear B measurement. My concern, I dont really know how this actually look like in reality. Thats why I am asking if anyone has use and set this coilover i.e. what is your B setting?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 07:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey, you went into some good detail there on the approx value needed to get your ride height set. Tough to find a member out there watching who has that C/o & would be willing to measure that body dimension

Most of us talk about ride height after the EvO has been set. We usually measure from the top of fender to ground front & rear. Measure your fender to ground dims & let us know (mine are set at 25.375" front & 25.00" rear)

Also, post up a pic of how its sits
Old Feb 21, 2019, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm on 245x40x18
Front rim to guard 100mm
Rear 90mm
Preload hard as I could turn up by hand plus 1 extra turn & locked it
Damper 22 clicks down. I like it
27mm Whiteline rear bar on mine
Old Feb 23, 2019, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the data. I haven't installed it yet but here is my baseline.
My car is currently on original Bilstein with Swift Spring on Evo X Enkei.
Fender to Ground = Front 26 inches, Rear 25.5 inches
Fender to Rim = Front 105 mm, Rear 91 mm

According to TEIN, since this is a Strut type the lever ratio is 1:1.
The adjustment type reference value on the manual for USA and Other Area is for reference setting per local laws etc.
The TEIN Flex Z comes preloaded and I just need to adjust the lower bracket (twisting it) is adjust the C value within 30mm.
TEIN measurement A B and D are fixed which is what is on the Manual and C is the one with adjusment by unlocking the lower bracket lock.
But adjusting C also reduce the value of B so its just the same just different reference point.

Here's the catch, on the next page of the manual, there is another Reference Value which is the expected measurement value after installing
the tires and TEIN Flex Z using their recommended setting. Base on this information, it appear I don't have to adjust it anymore as the value is
lower than what I have right now by 10mm (however, this is base on 17 inch) and wheels is 18. For example, with B setting at 67 mm, the expected measurement
distance between Front fender and center of wheel is 345mm. I currently measured mine at 355mm. If you imagine it, the car will be lowered even wihout
adjusting the current setting of B 67mm.

If you notice, the front sits a bit higher than the back. Maybe I will raise the back 5mm or just keep everything as it will be like stock but a little lower in height.
I will let you know the measured value how it sits (with picture hopefully) after I install the TEIN Flex Z. Let me know what you think? Thanks again for the initial measurement.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 09:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Royal Evo
If you notice, the front sits a bit higher than the back. Maybe I will raise the back 5mm or just keep everything as it will be like stock but a little lower in height.
Its not really sitting lower in the rear, its just the way the front & rear fenders were designed.

Dont raise the rear! You will certainly upset the RAKE of the car & make it more prone to a nasty oversteer condition (been there lol)

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Feb 23, 2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Finally, some warm weather. I only install the front TEIN Flex Z out of the box i.e. B measured at 67mm for reference. The car sits almost the same as with OEM Bilstein with Swift Springs.

I measured the front driver side at 100mm fender to rim ( 25.5 inches fender to ground ) on Evo X Enkei

I measure the passenger side and it sits 10mm higher than the driver side. How can that be when all measurement setting on the coilover is the same prior to install? Only, thing I can think off is the battery sits on the driver side so its heavier on that side. I re-adjust (lower) the passenger side to have the same level as the driver side. I drove the car to work and now, I measure it again - the passenger side sits a bit higher still? So, is this how coil over is, ignore with the pre mreasurement, meaning set it as close and just adjust it to level all sides?

Also, when you install the TEIN Flex Z, make sure the bolt that hold the brake line is on the left side i.e toward the front of vehicle. Its my rookie mistake, lol.

Since I didn't install the rear yet, I wonder if its ok to keep the rear on Bilstein (swift) since its for daily drive anyway. I can keep the rear TEIN Flex Z as reserved? Below is an older picture but it sits the same in the front anyway - 100mm fender to rim (25.5 inches fender to ground) for the front driver side.

Last edited by Royal Evo; Mar 12, 2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Looks good. I ran that wheel for a short bit. They fit well

Yeah, its very diff to get the fender heights all the same. There is usually some variance side to side. Some of it can be the pad that the car is sitting on. Its Ok to leave as is

Probably not an issue having the Teins up front & the Swifts in the rear but it really depends on the spring rates

If you know both rates, let us know
Old Mar 12, 2019, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks MinusPrevious! btw, when I remove the front strut driver side, the top part pop up and it broke of into 3 pieces - top part with hat on, spring and and the lower part, Its not one piece, ..
Old Apr 1, 2020, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now that you've had them for a while, what are your impressions of them? How do they ride? How is the fit and quality?
The following users liked this post:
Cesar Guerrero (Jul 16, 2020)
Old Jul 15, 2020, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Royal Evo
Finally, some warm weather. I only install the front TEIN Flex Z out of the box i.e. B measured at 67mm for reference. The car sits almost the same as with OEM Bilstein with Swift Springs.

I measured the front driver side at 100mm fender to rim ( 25.5 inches fender to ground ) on Evo X Enkei

Hi, This is my first time on the forum 😅.
I just got an evo x but the shocks are blown and I’m looking at the TEIN Flex Zs.
Based on what you mentioned with installing them out of the box. Are you saying that the out of the box setting is pretty close to stock heigh?

Last edited by Cesar Guerrero; Jul 16, 2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

GTPTourer, I like the Bilstein on Swift springs. You know that already .
Cesar, its same height as OEM Bilsteins on Swift springs. So, its not stock height but a little bit lower than stock.
The following users liked this post:
Cesar Guerrero (Aug 4, 2020)