Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lower control arm bolt wont thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower control arm bolt wont thread

My lower control arm bolt that looks like it threads to the frame of my car, isnt threading.

Im talking about bolt position B
I replaced the bolts that i pulled off with new ones that were longer but still fit without bottoming out, when i look down the hole i pulled the bolt out of it looks like the threads are damaged inside, and the threads on the bolt are all chewed up. I think i have to cut into the frame and figure out how to replace those threads, i had to do something similar already to the lower control arms swivel bushing. Its only happening like this on one side, i replaced both sides stock bolts with longer ones because i couldnt get the stock bolts to grab onto anything at all. Just spun.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 01:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Just a few thoughts:
  • Did you try threading B in before A? If not try that. Maybe the hole is not quite lined up
  • Can you thread the bolt in w/out the lower control arm attached?
  • What about trying a metric tap to chase the threads & clean them up
Old Mar 19, 2019, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
The threaded nut is pretty high up through the hole. You may tap it up with a mallet a bit. But if you think something is wrong trying to install it with the arm out is a good idea.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just went thru this yesterday. It definitely helped to thread part B first then attempt part A. I could not get it to line up otherwise. I had to do the ES bushings on the arm.