Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Control arm - stock or aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Control arm - stock or aftermarket

I’m getting a suspension kit fabricated for my Evo 1 but I’m stuck on the lower control arm - the Evo 123 has a stamped steel arm with a typical rubber bushing inboard, and rubberized spherical bushing outboard (Evo 5-9 is spherical on both ends). The fabricated arm is fully spherical with nylon-coated heim joints on both ends and adjustable length. Bind is an issue on the stock suspension due to the toe arm (now deleted) and non-spherical bushings. I don’t think I need the length adjustment since camber adjustment is sufficient with the aftermarket camber arms I ordered. Weight should be roughly similar and strength should be a wash between both, I don’t think it’s a concern. Suspension experts, do you see enough benefit from changing from a new stock arm to the fabricated arm to justify the 4x cost?

Stock:

Fabricated:

The junk my car is currently on (no spherical bushings at all)
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I found a good solution to this after some digging. Evo 1-3 owners, if you want to make the most out of your suspension setup, Cusco makes a spherical bearing with rubber cover for the inner lower control arm bushing, part number 560 464 HV. For the cost of two new OEM arms (optional), and these bearings, it’s roughly 40% of the price of fabricated arms and does the same job, plus it should last longer. Mitsubishi made this bushing spherical on the Evo 5+ arms, it’s a worthwhile upgrade.