Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Winter wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter wheels and tires

I need to get me a set of winter wheels and tires, I am looking at practicability and value here, no showroom quality (it is lost on me). What does anyone recommend? I am new to the Evo experience, wasn't expecting to have another set of tires for winter driving. Again something cheap yet practical for winter driving that can fit on my evo.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Great topic for a search in this forum. There have been quite a quite a few threads.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...earchid=135152
Old Jul 6, 2004, 07:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A search would probably be best, however, we do carry a few reasonably priced wheels and tires that can get you through a winter. You can see all the winter options available to you at the following link:Winter Wheel Packs Simply provide your year and model and the site will display all available options
Old Jul 6, 2004, 03:40 PM

Thanks for your reply, Neal, as I have done a search, and nothing really practical has come up. The wheels and tires are for a 2003 Mitsu Evo 8. I do not really care what the stuff looks like at this point, I just want the cheapest, wheel/tire combination that will fit over the BREMBOs. Basically if I could put on OE steel wheels, I would. This car is my daily driving car to go to work or whatnot, I just need something where I can drive this thing in snow.

I don't mind changing the wheels/tires every season, so I am not looking for an all-season solution, plus I wouldn't know what to do with the stock Yokos.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

there isn't any winter tires on tiretrack.com i am looking for the same thing
Old Jul 7, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

o sorry yea there is i went to the wrong link
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:57 PM

Where is the link?
Old Jul 19, 2004, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Winter Tire and Wheels

Simply provide your year, make, and model on the right and the site will display every available option. Not all items might show since some things are on backorder.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

I went for a set of Blizzak LM-22's last year from tirerack.. They are awesome! I'm hoping for a bad winter this year so I can try a set of WS-50's.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

With AWD and the WS-50 you should be able to climb a mountain..... well, maybe not but you get the idea
Old Aug 7, 2004, 06:23 PM

I am sorry that this is kinda late, but why even put that link in the thread when all I get is this:

"

You selected: 17" Winter Wheels for 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution .

To purchase a winter Tire & Wheel Package, complete Steps 1, 2 and 3.
To purchase winter tires separately, complete Steps 1 and 3.

To purchase winter wheels separately, complete Steps 2 and 3.

The preferred winter tire size for this vehicle is not currently available. This could either be a temporary out of stock condition, or we may be sold out for the season and may be out of stock until next fall. Please contact our sales team at (800) 541-1777. You may also want to try going back one screen and checking for alternative wheel diameters for this application. "

Really, are you guys ever getting winter tires for Evo's, maybe a tire/wheel package?
Old Aug 8, 2004, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan1978
I need to get me a set of winter wheels and tires, I am looking at practicability and value here, no showroom quality (it is lost on me). What does anyone recommend?
Where will you be driving in the winter? Some winter tires work best in deep snow. Some are maximized for ice. Others are designed for slush and sleet.

For example, if you do most of your winter driving on well-maintained highways (like I do) it makes sense to trade off some deep snow traction for high-speed stability and braking.

But, if you live in rural Vermont and you'll be driving on winding, snow-covered back roads all day, a tire that handles ice and deep snow will be more useful to you.

If you tell us more about the conditions you expect to face, we can help make some informed suggestions.

Emre
Old Aug 9, 2004, 05:05 AM
Former Sponsor

This is what I get when looking up 17" packs for an EVO on our site. Again, we haven't received all our winter stock yet so not everything will show on the site. The site reflects real time stock, so keep an eye on it or just ask me what we currently have available. Bridgestone, Michelin, Yokohama, Pirelli, and Dunlop will all have winter tires for this car when stock arrives around the end of the month
Attached Thumbnails Winter wheels and tires-untitled.jpg  
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

So how do the ContiExtremes measure up to something like the Pilot Alpin PA2s you have listed in the Winter Tire and Wheels section? The Contis of course are a more year round tire but it seems like a good option for a Winter Tire as well. Is this a true statement?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

No all season tire will grab snow as well as a dedicated winter tire. However, the Conti does have the best winter traction of the tires in its class. And with AWD its been a great tire for many EVO owners.

Quick Reply: Winter wheels and tires