Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

stock brakes.help??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock brakes.help??

my stock brakes are squiting like crazy. i took the car to the dealer and they said that there is no problems with the brake. so they spray the brake and the sound is still there.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

if you tell them you want more anti-squell gell(or some)they should do it it takes them like 10 -30 min. for the actual work maybe the factory forgot it it was still built by hand (mistakes happen)you could do it yourself but it sounds like there bad if its new/stock
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:37 PM

does this happen with most evos??
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mean squeaking, it goes hand in hand with large brakes and agressive pads like the evo has. Mine used to do it much more when the pads were newer. Unless something is obviously wrong with the pads like a wedged rock or something, or if there is a decline in the brake performance, its completly normal.

BTW...If you ever have a wobble in your brake pedal and think your rotors are warped, make sure your wheels are torqued properly(72' lbs). Its probably 95% of the reason people think their rotors are bad.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo82003
does this happen with most evos??

hard to say....I have 8000 mi on my stock brake, been to many autox and 2 days at the track, currently the pad only have about 1/4 left......no sounds at all.

Try inspect the rotor to see if there's any unusual sign (like a deep groove).....sometimes a little chip of rock can cause the brake to make loud noise.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

if its new its the gell dude (unless its off the lot then there not bedded properly)have them apply before you go worrying about worped rotors or stuff like that ,no its not normal,i ride canyons very agressively only squeel after about 30-1hr. hard braking,track days no squeel at all, i also have SS braided lines and Motul 600 fluid so i think i should squeek before you right?
Old Sep 18, 2004, 09:55 PM

the noise only happens when im almost stop. before then i dont hear a thing. i check for grooves and things of that nature and dont see a thing. i guess i wait about a month to see if the noise leave if not then ill take it the dealer before the warr. finishes on the pad if it doesnt leave.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo82003
the noise only happens when im almost stop. before then i dont hear a thing. i check for grooves and things of that nature and dont see a thing. i guess i wait about a month to see if the noise leave if not then ill take it the dealer before the warr. finishes on the pad if it doesnt leave.
My RS does the exact same thing! It has 2k miles and the noise appreared recently - loud squeak right before stopping! Only after warming up after a drive, it's damn loud! So I did couple things today, take the whole front brake assemblies apart and inspect. Found nothing, rotor and calipars seemed clean. So I got me some synthetic high temp grease and applied generously between shims and brake pistons.

Went for a drive, whala - noise gone! Hopefully, it'll keep quiet
Greasing and re-bedding might have helped...

Also, do clean the whole assembly w/ brake cleaning spray!!!
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

crap, my brakes still squeak like a b#$*ch!

hmmm, maybe time for new pads...
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

hey i got the same problem, but i already have 30,000 miles on it. time for new pads? but then i don't hear the typical brake pads high pitch noise when pressing the brakes. i could hear loud noise when the car is almost stopped. can hear noise when starting from a dead stop. can't think of anything other then brakes. my clutch still good. so i guess is the brakes, and i do notice brake performance goes down. but again when the car is coming to a stop without pressing the brakes, i could hear the noise...so......HELP!!!!
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

I hear that too. A lot of times, I hear it on reverse, when I reverse out of a parking lot and stop to go forward, I have a litle squeek. And just a yesterday, I started noticing squeek in the brakes right before I stop, maybe 3 or 4 seconds, and its freaking pissing me off. I have 15K on the car and I've only done aggressive braking once or twice when ppl decide to stomp on their brakes and test mine.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

i took it to the dealer and have them checked it out, they said the inside brake pads needs to be changed. i got 30,000 miles on it. but the manual says start checking brake pads around 20,000 miles. so i guess it's normal. just ordered the project mu ns brake pads. $80 for the front, pretty good price. those description about the pads are nice too. looking forward to it.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:35 PM

ive noticed that they squeak a little more on hot days. ive about 4300 miles on my car and they have been making noise alot more these past week.i got new rims and tires about a week and a half ago,would this be the cause of the excessive squeaking?
Old Sep 24, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

mine squeek.. i've grown to live with it though. i changed my pads to project mu street pads to cut down on dust.. now i squeek. o well.

you'll get over it..