EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   LOUD brake squeal (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/358082-loud-brake-squeal.html)

vassago Jul 17, 2008 12:12 AM

LOUD brake squeal

i switched to hp+ pads and didn't resurface the rotors. i had about 30-35k miles on the car and all the other brake stuff is stock and i did bleed the brakes. they stop great, but the brakes are ear piercing loud. it's not ALL the time, but 90% of the time there is a squeal (or multiple from dif corners) that is at least twice as loud as brakes that have gone out/need to be replaced. i really don't know what to do at this point, i tried to break them in and have autocrossed on them so they should be set to the rotors by now (over 5k miles on them) and it's not brake dust because braking hard makes them louder (typically). is there anything i can do? is it just these pads that are this loud? it's pretty embarrassing to be driving an evo and everytime i stop have brakes that literally scream. it's like i have a symphony of screaming pads sometimes when all 4 corners are squealing at dif pitches.

Ludikraut Jul 17, 2008 06:19 AM

HP+ will squeal, no matter what you do. When I had them on my car, it was the same deal. Ironically the PF97 pads I now run on track days, which are far more aggressive than the HP+, squeal less ... :dunno:

l8r)

OhsixIXBish Jul 17, 2008 06:28 AM

gotta take ur pads back off and put grease or anti-seize on the back of them its the vibration happened to me also put that on the back of the pad will go away!

EvoPooPoo Jul 17, 2008 06:34 AM

Usually the Performance / track brake pads have a higher level of metallic compound, which causes the squealing.
Unfortunately, the Ferro-Carbon compound in the HP+ makes them squeal.

I have Project MU Titan kais (HC+)... HP+ is nothing compared to these.
It hurts my GF's ears...over the phone. hahahah.

Something you're going to have to live with...

Willie Dynamite Jul 17, 2008 06:48 AM

I have Endless brake pads and they squeal like it's their sole purpose in life.

Evolessfornow Jul 17, 2008 07:57 AM

My HP+ are the same. It doesn't matter how much you grease 'em up. Mine squeal less than 50% of the time I'm on the brakes though.

Spish Jul 17, 2008 11:26 PM

Common prob, here was my fix, still holding up great not a peep!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=347375
:usflag: {thumbup}

r1concepts Jul 18, 2008 05:07 PM

try to re-bed in the pads. That's always a ez fix.

chaotichoax Jul 18, 2008 06:07 PM

girodisc magic pads = no shims, no grease, and no noise

I love them

if you just daily drive it take a look

JKD Jul 20, 2008 08:09 PM

Yup my HP+ pads squeal horribily too. Nature of the beast.

huevosrancheros Jul 20, 2008 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spish (Post 5902304)
Common prob, here was my fix, still holding up great not a peep!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=347375
:usflag: {thumbup}

U can try that. There is something like this at autozone. Different brand though. You apply directly to the rotor.
There is another spray(I forgot name) also at vatozone, that sprays directly to the backing of the pad. It leaves a some what thick residue. Did you clean the bindings the hold the pads down and did you use break grease on the pins????

AEvo2Nv Jul 21, 2008 12:11 AM

Thats the normal thing for hp+ pads buddy.

SeanJhn9 Jul 21, 2008 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by vassago (Post 5897884)
i switched to hp+ pads and didn't resurface the rotors. i had about 30-35k miles on the car and all the other brake stuff is stock and i did bleed the brakes. they stop great, but the brakes are ear piercing loud. it's not ALL the time, but 90% of the time there is a squeal (or multiple from dif corners) that is at least twice as loud as brakes that have gone out/need to be replaced. i really don't know what to do at this point, i tried to break them in and have autocrossed on them so they should be set to the rotors by now (over 5k miles on them) and it's not brake dust because braking hard makes them louder (typically). is there anything i can do? is it just these pads that are this loud? it's pretty embarrassing to be driving an evo and everytime i stop have brakes that literally scream. it's like i have a symphony of screaming pads sometimes when all 4 corners are squealing at dif pitches.

whats up man, did you put the shims back in? that same thing happened to me when i did my pads, i forgot to put the shims back in and it squealed like crazy...i had to go to larry miller and order some new shims

Evolessfornow Jul 21, 2008 01:20 PM

I was driving my car today for about an hour. Mixed city and highway driving. My HP+ pads barely made a peep.

emolution Jul 21, 2008 01:33 PM

my hp's were so loud it hurt my ears, but after a looooooong time they seemed to only be loud after getting really hot.... but i couldnt do anyhting to fix them. i even had the dealership give me new calipers (because the clear was pealing) but still nothing. you just have to deal with it i guess :/