EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Outer tie rod end replacement (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/543526-outer-tie-rod-end-replacement.html)

mcm308 Mar 7, 2011 07:09 AM

Outer tie rod end replacement

I don't know if I should just replace the ends with what my local supplier can get me or should I get the Whiteline Roll kit ? Is it worth the extra $$ ?? Thanks!

Smike Mar 7, 2011 07:11 AM

Full list of current mods? Car use?

mcm308 Mar 7, 2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo (Post 9136344)
Full list of current mods? Car use?

Car is stock w/ Bilsteins on the corners. 56,000 miles. I suppose it has the "MR" suspension? Future mods include the basic bolt on stuff. Turbo back exhaust, intake, boost controller, nothing crazy. Car is my daily driver with the occasional rip up the highway. I do 60 miles a day highway driving and I'm 33 so I'm not a wacky driver..:lol: Thanks for the assistance.

Smike Mar 7, 2011 07:53 AM

:lol:

Well, I would not get the Whiteline RCK. Save the money. Get OEM replacement.

barneyb Mar 7, 2011 11:58 AM

Get the Mitsu part - don't go aftermarket.

mcm308 Mar 7, 2011 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 9137286)
Get the Mitsu part - don't go aftermarket.

My local partsman got me Beck Arnley @ 40 a piece...
I never heard of them before, He said they specialize in import parts...

I will say one thing.. the joints are tight as a mofo.. I can't move them by hand...
So, I guess we will see how they do.. Thanks for the help!!

barneyb Mar 7, 2011 03:03 PM

Just curious:
DSM tie rod ends (parts produced in the early '90's) used to go approximately 75K and then need replacement. But I read of some high mileage Evos that have never had this done. So, I was wondering; do you have play in the joints and if so, at what mileage?

Smike Mar 7, 2011 03:06 PM

At about 100k my outer rod went on the driver side. Used aftermarket replacement, zero issue.

mcm308 Mar 7, 2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 9137889)
Just curious:
DSM tie rod ends (parts produced in the early '90's) used to go approximately 75K and then need replacement. But I read of some high mileage Evos that have never had this done. So, I was wondering; do you have play in the joints and if so, at what mileage?

Car has 56,000K .. I had a faint clunk noise develop and slight vibration under braking so I investigated when I changed my oil and found the pass. side had play in it..

Davo Mar 10, 2011 05:51 AM

besides beck/arnley what other names did you guys use?

sk8terdude929 Mar 10, 2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mcm308 (Post 9137779)
My local partsman got me Beck Arnley @ 40 a piece...
I never heard of them before, He said they specialize in import parts...

I will say one thing.. the joints are tight as a mofo.. I can't move them by hand...
So, I guess we will see how they do.. Thanks for the help!!

Any idea where he got them from? 40$ seems like a good deal and I need to do mine

cmspaz Mar 10, 2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Davo (Post 9146823)
besides beck/arnley what other names did you guys use?

I would personally go with Moog over B/A.

cfdfireman1 Mar 10, 2011 08:19 PM

I would bet there are ton of people on this sight that have them with very few miles on them. I for one have 3, 2 with 20K 1 with about 15 K.

Davo Mar 11, 2011 05:17 AM

I also see raybestos has some apps for the evo, end links, inner and outer ends, ball joints, etc

mcm308 Mar 12, 2011 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by sk8terdude929 (Post 9147212)
Any idea where he got them from? 40$ seems like a good deal and I need to do mine

I'm not sure exactly where but he had them the same day. They came from a local warehouse. I am sure they can be shipped to you rather cheap, If you want further info, PM me.

Originally Posted by cmspaz (Post 9149219)
I would personally go with Moog over B/A.

I usually prefer Moog but Moog had no listing for the Evo, Standard lancer yes but no Evo ?

Replacing both outers made a HUGE difference in the handling. The pass. side just had a slight amount of play in it but I guess with a steering setup as sensitive as what we have, the smallest amount of play becomes very noticeable.