EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Exhaust rubbing on front braces? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/583214-exhaust-rubbing-front-braces.html)

Evo11V Nov 11, 2011 08:33 AM

Exhaust rubbing on front braces?

Recently for what ever reason the exhaust is rubbing on the stock braces underneath. Its an AMS 3" exhaust, what do you guys recommend? I used to rub minimally from time to time but now its just too much.

I saw the GSPEC Front 4 point ladder brace but was woudnering if that is the best option since I need to get something that will clear the exhaust and stop the annoying noise at certain RPM ranges or driving around the parking lot.

Thanks all happy Veterans Day! :usflag:

Brett

Smike Nov 11, 2011 08:57 AM

You can shim the brace down a little bit or hammer the piping some to get it out of the way.

I used shims on my car.

Evo11V Nov 11, 2011 09:00 AM

Yeah Just trying to see if they have something out there that will give me more room. The front one its basically sitting on and I have 2 spacers in there, the one behind that has enough room.

Boostd4 Nov 11, 2011 10:09 AM

I stacked a few washers in there...had to experiment a little to get the right set. Just make sure you're not running out of thread on the bolts as you're adding washers.

kpr Nov 11, 2011 10:12 AM

Take a look at the RMR ( Rhys Millen Racing ) front brace. Its the only one made to clear a 3' exhaust.

LCS Nov 11, 2011 11:10 AM

I think itīs odd. Did you check the exhaust mounts? Looks like something is sagging.

llDemonll Nov 11, 2011 11:17 AM

^

I have a full 3-inch and while it's a very close fit, I don't rub at all. I have a Megan downpipe since I know they're all a tad different probably

GG06MR Nov 12, 2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Evo11V (Post 9738138)
Yeah Just trying to see if they have something out there that will give me more room. The front one its basically sitting on and I have 2 spacers in there, the one behind that has enough room.

I had the same issue. Get longer bolts, and make it 3 sets of washers, and you'll be set.....like I had to do. {thumbup}

deeman101 Nov 12, 2011 07:23 AM

Shimming is probably the easiest/quickest/cheapest way. And not much wrong with it.

Otherwise you could use a carbing 6 point bar which apparently has a lot of clearance. Or a works croxx plate. I use the works with a megan 3inch. Its got room...but not a whole ton of it. My dp never hits or vibrates against it or anything though.

killerpenguin21 Nov 12, 2011 10:41 AM

i have a buschur spacer kit sitting in my room that i wound up not needing. if you want it you can have it cheap, it should let any exhaust fit without hitting.

Evo11V Nov 14, 2011 02:48 PM

I'll have to take another look, see what I can come up with but its basically resting on the brace. It used to vibrate once in a while and now it finally got worse. Thanks for all the replies. :beer:

boomn29 Nov 15, 2011 09:44 AM

Buscher sells big spacers and new bolts with their exhaust. That's what I have, and no rubbing!

HMatt Nov 15, 2011 11:12 AM

Shim it or buy the carbing 6-point.

My buddy's evo just needed a touch of clearance, so we were able to get away with a stack of 3 washers just on the middle bolt on the front bar and bend the bar a little.

Dallas J Nov 15, 2011 12:52 PM

I think I used some old head bolt washers with a stack of 2 or so on each side. The on the one that was closest I cut a rubber hose in half (like a 1/2" hose), and zip tied it so it would rub on that instead of the metal bar. After 2 years it hasn't melted so Ill call it good.

eagles710 Nov 15, 2011 04:45 PM

i have the same problem with my dc downpipe. I only hear the rubbing when it rains and is very annoying. I was thinking about spacing the brace out so it doesnt touch but i solved the problem by just not driving in the rain anymore lol