Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

In-Dash Tablet install questions

Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In-Dash Tablet install questions

I've been looking at options for mounting a tablet inside my dash. I basically never use the actual radio (Bluetooth streaming FTW), would like to have an in dash navi, and would like to use Torque.

So I just need a super cheap Android tablet, and a dash opening that will fit the tablet.

I have 2 means of mounting this:
  • Find a tablet that fits inside the OEM or an aftermarket dash. This way I could Velcro the back of it, and pull it in and out. I also don't totally lose the tablet solely to the car. OEM Navi screen opening is roughly 4'' 1/16th x 8'' 1/16th.
    • I haven't found a tablet that will fit those dimensions. Specifically, I can't find one with a 4'' width. Does anyone know of one?
    • Are there aftermarket dashes with a larger opening for a screen?
  • Permanently mount the tablet behind the dash with a weatherproof case.
    • In which case, is there a way to wire it so that the tablet turns on and off with the car.

Last edited by TrogdorWBL; Jul 23, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Paging re4perx

reap3rx there is an android question in the E/A/S forum
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Someone called?

Nexus 7 is your solution. I'll sum it up quickly

1) It will fit in the opening of the JDM dash kit PERFECTLY. A bit of velcro will keep it in place. You will need to drill a small hole to run the micro USB cable though. Another option would be to open up the back of the case and to relocate the USB port towards the back (it's on a ribbon connector so it's rather easy).

2) Download USB ROM for Nexus 7. You can find guides how to root and install this ROM on xda-developers.com. http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/ This ROM has alot of options geared towards permanent installations. The biggest one IMO is deep sleep when power is removed. This will allow the tablet to drain just 1-2% per day when it's off. As soon as power is reconnected (turning on the car and supplying power to the USB cable), it will wake up.

3) Use Tasker to set up automated tasks

4) If you don't want to drop coin for the JDM dash kit, you can also use any other dash kit (such as the Scosche double DIN kit) and install the Nexus behind the faceplate. For this type of installation, go to radio shack and pick up a 7"x4"x3" project box. Then go on eBay and find some double DIN installation rails and screw them into the side of the project box (7 inches is the width of a standard double DIN headunit). Use some kind of tablet holder/case to affix the tablet to the project box.

5) For audio connection, either use the headphone jack, or for better quality, get an external DAC such as the Behringer UCA 202. This will make your setup a bit more complicated as you will need to use a USB OTG y-cable with external power. Benefit of using the USB OTG y-cable is that you can attach a USB hub to one of the ends of the cable and plug in as many USB devices as you want (flash drives, hard drives, etc). If you have no use for external storage/audio, just use the headphone jack and a normal microUSB cable (hooked up to a USB power supply that is rated at 2A or more)
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:34 PM

you might as well look into buying a pioneer app radio. this head unit is pretty cheap, you can mirror link your head unit and stay tuned cause im actually installing my pioneer z150 tomorrow! i will be doing the whole mirror link as well on it from my Rooted Galaxy s 3 running the stable version of Cyanogenmod 10.1.2. i would also like to do the whole torque thing ive had it on my accord and i loved it. looked sick.

only thing ive been wondering about was that there was someoone else that used dashcommand and paid $60 for the app, but the evox is not an option for dashcommand. -.-
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

I had the appradio 2 and absolutely hated it. I even had the ARLIBERATOR app that allows you to fully mirror and use the touchscreen to control your phone. It didn't work half the time.. No navigation without connecting phone, terrible sound quality
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the new nexus 7 2nd gen. Been waiting on it for this project. Going to keep the factory radio behind the tablet controlled from the steering wheel and use bluetooth to stream audio and wireless charging for juice.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I was thinking of waiting for the 2nd gen.. but I found my 32gb for $150 brand new at Staples Couldn't pass that up. Also, the USB ROM (which will probably be ported to gen 2 down the line) is amazing for a fixed installation.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

yea the first gen is a good way to go. i would/may still do the same if this becomes a permanent install situation. $150 really is nothing when you consider you are getting a unit with excellent gps/nav, music (as well as cloud and streaming), video player, with quality touch control on a highly customizable platform.

BUT my goal is to make this dockable/removable so i don't get my car broken into. screens = target.

i have the scosche kit now. i might use it but i'm going to look into purchasing the JDM double din despite the added $$ b/c the extended top section on the scosche may prevent this from working as well as i want.

i've done one of these before in my old suv with a samsung 10.1 tablet. i plan on starting the same way but this one will be a completely wire free install.

i going to handle the mount by using a hard plastic case that i can glass into the dash kit so i can pop the tablet in and out. the tablet is still new so i have to wait for a selection of hard cases to come to market. something like this:
http://www.acetag.com/media/catalog/...KIM003NP_1.jpg

one thing i need to test is the ability to use the factory radio with no "face" controls beyond that of the steering wheel. that is going to be the make or break.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by momostallion
yea the first gen is a good way to go. i would/may still do the same if this becomes a permanent install situation. $150 really is nothing when you consider you are getting a unit with excellent gps/nav, music (as well as cloud and streaming), video player, with quality touch control on a highly customizable platform.

BUT my goal is to make this dockable/removable so i don't get my car broken into. screens = target.

i have the scosche kit now. i might use it but i'm going to look into purchasing the JDM double din despite the added $$ b/c the extended top section on the scosche may prevent this from working as well as i want.

i've done one of these before in my old suv with a samsung 10.1 tablet. i plan on starting the same way but this one will be a completely wire free install.

i going to handle the mount by using a hard plastic case that i can glass into the dash kit so i can pop the tablet in and out. the tablet is still new so i have to wait for a selection of hard cases to come to market. something like this:
http://www.acetag.com/media/catalog/...KIM003NP_1.jpg

one thing i need to test is the ability to use the factory radio with no "face" controls beyond that of the steering wheel. that is going to be the make or break.
Could always extend the wiring harness for the faceplate and hide it behind the headunit
Old Aug 2, 2013, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r34p3rex
Could always extend the wiring harness for the faceplate and hide it behind the headunit
that along with relocating the on/off button. maybe the display too...
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if it works for the new nexus, but with gen 1 nexus, you can use fastboot to change how the tablet reacts when powered off and charger is connected:

fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0

That would make the tablet auto-power on when power is applied to the USB port instead of showing the charging screen
Old Aug 2, 2013, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

r34p3rx is a genius
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:06 AM

I am seriously considering this and had a few questions.

- Are there any pictures of this setup in a JDM dash?
- How are you guys managing the data for the tablet? cellular or tethered?
- Has anyone found a method to answer/call using the tablet to control your phone? For example, I have an Android phone but want to be able to see who is calling and control the call through the tablet instead of pulling out my phone or relying on the steering wheel controls.

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Good news, the factory radio still works without a face. Better news, you can remount the factory radio on it's own brackets to recess another 1.5" deeper to allow more room for custom tablet install related stuff.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 01:08 PM

@momostallion: got any pics of your setup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In-Dash Tablet install questions