Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

CompuStar Remote Start/Alarm/Drone review (2014 GSR+FAST Key)

Old Nov 8, 2014, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post CompuStar Remote Start/Alarm/Drone review (2014 GSR+FAST Key)

When I originally researched this I found most of what I'm about to say in posts, but it was scattered around a lot of different threads, so I figured I'd throw a review on here containing all of it in one post. I'm only going to cover stuff that's specific to the Evo and any features that, prior to research/having it, I was wondering if they would work on the evo or not. For general info and features check the CompuStar website.

I have a 2014 Evo X GSR w/FAST Key (SSL package). I had the 2W9000 and DroneMobile installed by a local shop.

So here's the highlights (negative/bad things are in red):
  • Remote start works with a manual transmission
  • All features of the CompuStar system work with the FAST key.
  • The OEM fob can arm/disarm the alarm.
  • The CompuStar remote has a MUCH greater effective range than the OEM FAST Key. I've tested it to at least 500ft line of sight, where as the OEM fob goes to about 15-20 feet if that.
  • The doors will now lock if a FAST key is in the car (so you lose the lockout protection).
  • Does not lose or use a FAST key (no hide a key boxes or anything like that, no key remains in the car in any way while you are not driving).
  • Has a turbo timer.
  • Sadly, door and trunk buttons will set off alarm if armed and you use them to unlock and enter the car. So you basically lose that feature.
  • (Drone) Can arm/disarm the alarm with a phone.
  • (Drone) Can remote start the car with a phone (super handy).
  • (Drone) Can locate the car via GPS with a phone.
  • (Drone) If you don't mind having to use your phone for the remote start, and you remember you can't use the buttons on the doors to disarm the alarm, you don't really need the CompuStar remote if you don't mind the limitations of the FAST Key.
  • Cost was $850 (installed), I dropped the car off in the morning at 9AM and it was ready around 4PM. There was only 1 person doing the install (99% sure).

There are tons of other features available, including valet mode and auto door locks. There's even an engine kill feature for if you are car jacked (additional labor required for install). Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. The only thing that's a little sad is losing the use of the buttons on the door/trunk. You can technically still use them if you don't arm the alarm, but then what was the point of installing an alarm?

Remote Start
On the manual transmission side, you have to enter reservation mode to remote start the car. Reservation mode is a safety feature that makes sure the car is in neutral before starting it. Automatics (MR) don't need to worry about any of this.

Setting the car into reservation mode is fairly intuitive. You hold the foot brake and release the clutch than pull the hand brake and release the foot brake. Turn the car off (it keeps running) and get out. If you have a turbo timer set it will keep running for that duration, if not it will turn off. You still have to arm the alarm manually, though there is an automatic arm option which auto arms it after 30 seconds. If you open any doors, the trunk, the hood, etc, it will cancel reservation mode. It apparently also is canceled if the alarm is tripped. You have to repeat the above steps to enter it again.

Remote start via the remote is typical, hold the button down until it beeps. When reservation mode is active there is a key icon on the 2-way remote. If the car is not in reservation mode (no key icon) the car will not remote start. If you quick press that button it will tell you the temperature inside the car. So you can check it, decide if you need to start it, if you do start it you can press it again to see if it's warmed up yet. Pretty handy. There does not appear to be a way to check the temp with the DroneMobile unit.

Since, when everything is on "auto", the car doesn't try to heat the inside until the engine warms up, the temp being even slightly higher is a good indication that the engine is warmed up or not if that's all you care about. So it suits both needs.

Turbo Timer
The turbo timer is configurable. You can enable/disable it with the remote, so you can enable it after some "spirited" driving, then disable it later. The duration, however, is set at install time, so be sure to tell your installer the duration you want. I chose 1 minute. It's fully compatible with remote start. So you can enter reservation mode, as described above, and after the turbo timer stops the engine you can remote start the car.

FAST Key Integration
The system retains use of the FAST Key fob. Pressing lock/unlock on it will also arm/disarm the alarm. So, when you don't care about the other options (such as remote start) you don't need to carry the compustar remote. You also don't need the remote if you have the drone system, because you can use your phone to remote start the car then.

Valet Mode
Valet mode disables the alarms features, only lock/unlock will happen and the actual alarm won't arm. This seems pretty useful for getting the car serviced. You can put the system into valet mode and then hand the shop only the FAST Key fob. Not only does this make it less complicated for the shop, unless they are in your dash, they probably won't even know you have the alarm/starter. So, for the less than honest service departments out there, it could save the hassle of an illegal warranty void attempt.

If anyone has any questions just ask and I'll try to answer.
The following users liked this post:
TurboNubCake (Mar 18, 2016)
Old Nov 8, 2014, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there a monthly fee to use the DroneMobile feature? I know when I was looking into the Viper SmartStart system the sales guy was saying something about a fee.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

There is a yearly fee, it's $50 for basic (remote start, lock, unlock) or $120 for premium (GPS tracking, low battery alerts, more).

It's basically $10 a month for premium or about $4.17 a month for basic. It includes some basic time, appears to be 3 months (didn't say any was included anywhere, but it says it expires in Feb). Would have been smarter to give premium instead, imo. Get people hooked, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:52 AM

cool, thanks for the info!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you for the info. I have wanted remote start on an evo for years. The only negative that bothers me is the loss of the fast key buttons without setting off the alarm. The phone option is very intriguing though.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nvmaddog
Thank you for the info. I have wanted remote start on an evo for years. The only negative that bothers me is the loss of the fast key buttons without setting off the alarm. The phone option is very intriguing though.
Maybe if enough of us ask compustar they'll make a solution?

Though if you don't care about the alarm, don't get it. Just get the remote start package. You can buy it independent of the alarm.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ancyker
Maybe if enough of us ask compustar they'll make a solution?

Though if you don't care about the alarm, don't get it. Just get the remote start package. You can buy it independent of the alarm.

I would love to have both, but to me that is not a make or break. I would really just love remote start and to not have to carry around an extra fob to get it.

I wonder if that decreases the price as well?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nvmaddog
I would love to have both, but to me that is not a make or break. I would really just love remote start and to not have to carry around an extra fob to get it.

I wonder if that decreases the price as well?
It does, by quite a bit. Check their website and locate a dealer and ask. I expect it to be around 300 without the drone or 500 with (installed). +/- 100

If you don't get drone you'll have to carry the fob. If you live in an area without GSM coverage drone won't work (pretty sure it's GSM since it doesn't work at my house where only Verizon works).

You might be able to hijack the panic button on the fast fob for remote start? Not sure. That's something you could ask about.

Last edited by Ancyker; Nov 12, 2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ancyker
You might be able to hijack the panic button on the fast fob for remote start? Not sure. That's something you could ask about.
The panic button idea would be extra awesome. Going to look into this for sure and see what I can find out. GSM coverage is flawless here so I will definitely settle for using the phone only and be more than happy to have it.

Thanks again
Old Nov 13, 2014, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Dude I have a compustar remote start+alarm and have some minor things I don't like about the programming. But in the end I still think its better than the Viper system. Oh and contacting Compustar gets you no where. I have emailed them several times about things I think they need to improve or fix and they have never emailed me back. Thats one thing that really pissed me off.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

So it's been a bit now, been using the remote start. Not sure how I got by without it. Using the phone to remote start the car while it's out of range is amazing. The fact it's winter makes it really easy to appreciate this.

The turbo timer is handy, and easily gotten around if you forgot about it. If you turn the car off, but for forgot to disable that turbo timer and are doing something, like getting gas, and don't want to wait, simply press the brake pedal. The car will instantly shut off. This does disable reservation mode, so it's only useful in instances where you don't want to remote start the car.

Currently the only issue I've found is when turning the car "on" while it's already running, the TPMS indicator comes on for a second saying the tire pressure is low. Pretty sure it's a bug with the firmware (though which firmware -- the car or the alarm -- is anyones guess). It's only cosmetic, so not a big deal. It probably has something to do with the self checks the car runs when it's started, but since it's already started the warning comes through or something.

Edit: I also got to use the valet mode while having my tires installed by the Mitsubishi service department. He didn't say anything about an alarm (but why would he even if he noticed?), still, I'm sure he was happy not having to learn a different fob. It also saved having to explain reservation mode (since if you activate reservation mode by accident, the car keeps running, then you have a service tech trying to find out why the car didn't shut off).

Originally Posted by kosteniuks17
Dude I have a compustar remote start+alarm and have some minor things I don't like about the programming. But in the end I still think its better than the Viper system. Oh and contacting Compustar gets you no where. I have emailed them several times about things I think they need to improve or fix and they have never emailed me back. Thats one thing that really pissed me off.
Same goes with Viper, based on past experiences, so it's not really a deciding factor. They rely on their vendors/installers to support the products. That said, having one of them relay your suggestions might go over better. A lot of big businesses with small staff forward reviews and suggestions but don't reply to them. I complained about an issue on a gas stations website before, didn't hear anything back. 2 weeks later the issue was fixed. They never emailed me back, but obviously got the message to the right people.

Last edited by Ancyker; Nov 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:56 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have conpustar in my X and all the doors and trunk button work fine. I can also turn the metal key in ignition to takeover remote start

Try updating your firmware, conpustar released a new flash.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 09:27 AM

Sorry to revive and hijack this thread lol but what product would you guys recommend for a 2014 GSR with fast key, all I want to do is remote start the car & nothing else... don't mind carrying two key fobs..
Old Nov 17, 2015, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoxsteez
Sorry to revive and hijack this thread lol but what product would you guys recommend for a 2014 GSR with fast key, all I want to do is remote start the car & nothing else... don't mind carrying two key fobs..
The CompuStar system also comes in a remote start only flavor. You can just get that.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 08:07 AM

I have been looking into one for a while actually so thanks this helps a ton.

As mine has the SST trans I think that would be alittle easier.

The remote start option sounds awesome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CompuStar Remote Start/Alarm/Drone review (2014 GSR+FAST Key)