Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Android double din radio install review w/full working wheel controls no adapter!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like a new cleaner interface

Amazon.com : Pumpkin 6.95" Android 4.4.4 Universal In Dash HD Touch Screen Car DVD Player Double Din GPS Navigation Stereo AM/FM Radio Support SD/USB/Bluetooth/3G/Wifi/OBD2/1080P/DVR With Free External Microphone and backup Camera As Gift : GPS & Navigation Amazon.com : Pumpkin 6.95" Android 4.4.4 Universal In Dash HD Touch Screen Car DVD Player Double Din GPS Navigation Stereo AM/FM Radio Support SD/USB/Bluetooth/3G/Wifi/OBD2/1080P/DVR With Free External Microphone and backup Camera As Gift : GPS & Navigation
Old Mar 16, 2015, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
does anybody have any experience with these units?

http://e3io.com/custom-computers-car-pc

always wanted a carputer/android setup in my car but i'm too scared to try something out with how little knowledge i have in this department
Old Mar 16, 2015, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TougeGod7
does anybody have any experience with these units?

http://e3io.com/custom-computers-car-pc

always wanted a carputer/android setup in my car but i'm too scared to try something out with how little knowledge i have in this department
Windows was never really designed for a touchscreen use. Windows 8 is ok for touchscreens, but I feel like the experience is severely diminished on a 7 inch screen. I'd stick to an Android headunit or tablet install if I were you as Android was designed to be touch screen friendly all around
Old Mar 20, 2015, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by r34p3rex
Windows was never really designed for a touchscreen use. Windows 8 is ok for touchscreens, but I feel like the experience is severely diminished on a 7 inch screen. I'd stick to an Android headunit or tablet install if I were you as Android was designed to be touch screen friendly all around
yeah i was chuck leaning toward a windows operating unit just in case there would be a way to run gauges through the head unit, while also being able to dataload and tune with it. but from the sounds of it, we'll be able to do that soon on android
Old Apr 8, 2015, 03:57 PM

Has anyone compiled a list of the android based double dins out there?
My Google searches don't lead to much...
Old Apr 8, 2015, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Swolzee
Has anyone compiled a list of the android based double dins out there?
My Google searches don't lead to much...
Pretty much the only one in the USA is by parrot. The rest are on eBay and are no-names/off-brands shipped direct from China. They pretty much all need rooted to be of any real use. Check xda for a list of ones that can be rooted.

Note that they are all overpriced compared to the features they offer. If you don't listen to OTA/sat radio an in dash tablet setup would be far superior.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ancyker
Pretty much the only one in the USA is by parrot. The rest are on eBay and are no-names/off-brands shipped direct from China. They pretty much all need rooted to be of any real use. Check xda for a list of ones that can be rooted.

Note that they are all overpriced compared to the features they offer. If you don't listen to OTA/sat radio an in dash tablet setup would be far superior.
This is defiantly an uninformed response but it seems like a tablet setup would be difficult to connect everything. Steering wheel, power supply, audio, blue tooth, etc.

And I also am a stickler for the cleanliness of the finished products look, I think I've only seen one example of a tablet in an evo x. I have a nexus 7 gen 2 that I love so this peeks my interest for sure. If anyone has some other links they wouldn't mind to reference I'd really appreciate it.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Swolzee
This is defiantly an uninformed response but it seems like a tablet setup would be difficult to connect everything. Steering wheel, power supply, audio, blue tooth, etc.

And I also am a stickler for the cleanliness of the finished products look, I think I've only seen one example of a tablet in an evo x. I have a nexus 7 gen 2 that I love so this peeks my interest for sure. If anyone has some other links they wouldn't mind to reference I'd really appreciate it.
This is something I've been working on. Currently in the planning phase. The only thing I haven't figured out is the steering wheel controls.

Android double din radio install review w/full working wheel controls no adapter!-q4a0llbh.jpg

Last edited by Ancyker; Apr 12, 2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 05:59 PM

I found this just a moment ago
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:26 PM

anybody have any experience with this one..

http://www.autopumpkin.com/car-dvd-p...2007-2012.html
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:10 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by scafel19
anybody have any experience with this one..

http://www.autopumpkin.com/car-dvd-p...2007-2012.html
That one only has 800x480. that is no where near the quality of 1080p. I would not touch it if the screen is going to be that bad quality of screen and brightness. At a minimum you should be looking for 252 ppi / 1280x800 with a very high brightness ratio. Ask autopumpkin to go back and make a proper one with a proper screen.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it really just 2 wires?
ground and signal for the controls?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 09:06 PM

why would anyone need a aswc-1 adapter then?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 05:09 AM

Yes only two wires, but this only works for the chinese stereos cause I guess they have steering adapters built-in that why after hook up you could set the steering wheel control to what you like.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 02:50 PM

Will it work through the Mito-03 harness?

Quick Reply: Android double din radio install review w/full working wheel controls no adapter!