Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

How to Reinstall OEM Sub to Aftermarket System

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How to Reinstall OEM Sub to Aftermarket System

Hi guys.

I purchased an Evo X with an aftermarket sub, amp, and headunit and I am trying to find out how to wire back the OEM rockford fosgate sub back!

I have a Pioneer Avic-4000NEX headunit, Alpine PDX-V9 1500W Amplifier and Sundown Audio SD-12 D2 12" Subwoofer.

I removed the aftermarket sub and now remains two wires: negative and positive. How do I wire it back to the oem sub? Here is the oem sub enclosure opened:

Which wire(s) do i tap into? The OEM wires are red, black, yellow, blue, and I only have two aftermarket red and black wires to use.

I cannot plug the sub into the OEM plug since the car does not have the factory amp anymore.

Thank you guys.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Why do you want to use the OEM sub? Aftermarket ones are certainly better.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ddlopresti
Why do you want to use the OEM sub? Aftermarket ones are certainly better.
I do not want to invest into a new sub as the aftermarket sub I have now is way too big and takes up 60% trunk space.

Does anybody have any clue?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMV8
I do not want to invest into a new sub as the aftermarket sub I have now is way too big and takes up 60% trunk space.

Does anybody have any clue?
Factory sub is DVC (dual voice coil) so you will have positive and negative for each coil. Hence the 4 leads. Red/Black is positive/negative for coil 1 and yellow/blue is positive/negative for coil 2

For this to work with the amp you're using, you will need to connect negative(black) of coil 1 to positive(yellow) of coil 2. Then connect the positive(red) lead from coil 1 to the positive output terminal of the amp, and negative(blue) lead from coil 2 to the negative output terminal of the amp.

Wiring the woofer in this way (in series) will double electrical resistance (ohms) seen by the amplifier. If i remember correctly the woofer uses 2 1.1ohm coils, so you should have a final resistance of 2.2 ohms, allowing the amplifier to output 500 watts rms from the sub channel.

Keep in mind though that the factory woofer is made for low power and low excursion.

You will blow it if you push it.

When that happens (not if), consider a JL Audio 10" or 12" W6v3. Power handling of either model matches with the output of the amp, and enclosure requirements are tiny (just a little larger than stock) compared to the output of the woofer (easily 10 times the output of the factory woofer). Additionally, they sound fantastic.