EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-electrical-audio-security-262/)
-   -   Evo X DRL Plastic Socket Burnt (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-electrical-audio-security/694975-evo-x-drl-plastic-socket-burnt.html)

Motordyne Jul 8, 2014 11:42 AM

Evo X DRL Plastic Socket Burnt

Hey guys I just picked up 2011 WW Evo X a few weeks ago and when I got it, the passenger DRL was out. I bought a set of 1156 LEDs and swapped them, the bulb was all burnt and busted and even after put in LEDs the passenger side still didn't work.

I checked the socket and it was black and burnt. I am still under warranty but the car came with an intake and exhaust. Do you guys think Mitsu will replace that DRL socket?

Motordyne Jul 8, 2014 08:28 PM

Anyone?

GinuwineEvo8 Jul 8, 2014 10:34 PM

Intake and Exhaust has nothing to do with the electrical system; Only one way to find out and its to take it to them and see if they would warranty it.

Motordyne Jul 9, 2014 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by GinuwineEvo8 (Post 11252609)
Intake and Exhaust has nothing to do with the electrical system; Only one way to find out and its to take it to them and see if they would warranty it.

Yeah true but you never know what kind of bs excuse they'll pull, i'll take it today and see what they say.

ikt Jul 14, 2014 11:59 AM

most 1156 LED's don't work in Evos, try a regular bulb first

intake and exhaust will not void a harness warranty, but, try a regular 1156 first. I've had two sets of 1156 LED's that do not work in evo's.

Motordyne Jul 17, 2014 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ikt (Post 11256493)
most 1156 LED's don't work in Evos, try a regular bulb first

intake and exhaust will not void a harness warranty, but, try a regular 1156 first. I've had two sets of 1156 LED's that do not work in evo's.

I swapped the LEDs from Driver to passenger and passenger still doesnt' light up, but driver still works. So it's not the LEDs. I took it to Mitsu yesterday and they said the socket is burnt and they need to send pictures to Mitsubishi.

Apparently I need a whole new Pass Headlight to get the DRL working again....can't I just get a new DRL Harness?

ikt Jul 17, 2014 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Motordyne (Post 11259015)
I swapped the LEDs from Driver to passenger and passenger still doesnt' light up, but driver still works. So it's not the LEDs. I took it to Mitsu yesterday and they said the socket is burnt and they need to send pictures to Mitsubishi.

Apparently I need a whole new Pass Headlight to get the DRL working again....can't I just get a new DRL Harness?

of course you can

but they'd rather bill Mitsubishi $2000 for a headlight ;)

Motordyne Jul 21, 2014 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ikt (Post 11259168)
of course you can

but they'd rather bill Mitsubishi $2000 for a headlight ;)

Ofcourse lol. Well I guess i'll just have to wait and see what they say.

Motordyne Aug 3, 2014 01:56 PM

Ok so Mitsubishi probably isn't going to do anything, they keep telling me I have to wait. So I just bought another DRL Socket from someone parting out and spliced the old one.

This is the weird part, bulbs work fine on both sides now but the LEDs still only work on the driver side. Could it be because my bulbs are 12V? But then how do they only work on the driver side but not the passenger side?

wrx lol Aug 13, 2014 05:22 PM

Flip the wires. LEDs only work with current flowing in one direction.

deanob Aug 14, 2014 07:18 AM

Most of the lighting system is connected to the CAN BUS system, you cannot just add an LED AFIK. You need to add a resistor in order to add an LED bulb to the system.

Motordyne Aug 14, 2014 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by wrx lol (Post 11279336)
Flip the wires. LEDs only work with current flowing in one direction.

wouldn't flipping the bulb do the same thing?

Motordyne Aug 14, 2014 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by deanob (Post 11279597)
Most of the lighting system is connected to the CAN BUS system, you cannot just add an LED AFIK. You need to add a resistor in order to add an LED bulb to the system.

But then how does the driver side LED work? Both LEDs work on the driver side, but not the passenger.

wrx lol Aug 15, 2014 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Motordyne (Post 11280052)
wouldn't flipping the bulb do the same thing?

Not for the 1156 socket. If you inspect the bulb, you'll notice the contact is on the bottom and all around the sides. Inserting the bulb into the socket and then twisting 180 degrees to reinsert would be the same thing. If you cut the wires to the socket and switch them then it would alternate the positive and negative current to that bulb.

Motordyne Aug 15, 2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by wrx lol (Post 11280279)
Not for the 1156 socket. If you inspect the bulb, you'll notice the contact is on the bottom and all around the sides. Inserting the bulb into the socket and then twisting 180 degrees to reinsert would be the same thing. If you cut the wires to the socket and switch them then it would alternate the positive and negative current to that bulb.

Gotcha, since theyre already snipped because I changed my socket i'll try that and flip the wires today