Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Boost = CEL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost = CEL

Since my dyno tune this has happened to me twice now, and both times its a random occurance.

It always happens after I boost, first time was under WOT.
Today was under 1/2 throttle, and I hit boost. Got up to speed let off.

Looked down my CEL was on, after I got off the highway, at the first set of lights my idle was at 2000rpm. I shut off the car, and then turned the car back on. The CEL was still on but the car was idling fine.

Due to my work schedule, I cant go to the dealer until the weekend. I dont have a code reader, and by the time I can get there this weekend, the light will be off.

Any ideas?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:55 PM

The code you will get is P1235. This address's the "throttle to air position" or something like that. But I thought this was associated to "boost controller" and too much air.

You are tuned so I have no idea....
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GGEVO253
The code you will get is P1235. This address's the "throttle to air position" or something like that. But I thought this was associated to "boost controller" and too much air.

You are tuned so I have no idea....
Thanks,
Im running 26.5 peak psi, no MBC installed @ the moment. Odd...
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
This is a partial throttle overboost issue, and it will almost always happen in 4th or 5th gear. If you were EcuTeK tuned, did your tuner use ECU boost control or a manual boost controller? If he used an MBC, that's your problem. If he used ECU boost control, make sure he turns boost correction back on, because only tuning with duty cycles will give the car a tendency to overboost in gears that are higher than the one it is tuned for.

Let me know if you can't get it resolved. I had a P1235 for awhile, and was finally able to kick its butt. I'll do whatever I can to help you.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:13 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Talon_66
Thanks,
Im running 26.5 peak psi, no MBC installed @ the moment. Odd...
That peak boost is really high. The partial throttle spike in 5th or even 4th is probably like 22-23psi. I certainly don't want to spike that high in a drive by wire car when I am at 25% throttle percentage or less.

Reduce your peak value. It won't hold that much for long, and its moot anyway as its way beyond the efficiency range of this crappy stock turbo.

If you are on an aftermarket turbo, disregard that last bit and take it back to your tuner to have him get it right.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
That peak boost is really high. The partial throttle spike in 5th or even 4th is probably like 22-23psi. I certainly don't want to spike that high in a drive by wire car when I am at 25% throttle percentage or less.

Reduce your peak value. It won't hold that much for long, and its moot anyway as its way beyond the efficiency range of this crappy stock turbo.

If you are on an aftermarket turbo, disregard that last bit and take it back to your tuner to have him get it right.
As far as I know the tuner didnt touch anything in the ECUTek regarding the boost.
I have to go back to get an update for Rev. Limiter, and launch control. I will definitely mention it.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

As far as I know the tuner didnt touch anything in the ECUTek regarding the boost.
I have to go back to get an update for Rev. Limiter, and launch control. I will definitely mention it.
There are tons of boost tables he has access to, and he can correlate them to throttle percentage to make that code go away. If you need to replicate the code for him, load the car between 3000-4000rpm in 5th gear at less than half throttle. It will do the trick every time.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

There are tons of boost tables he has access to, and he can correlate them to throttle percentage to make that code go away. If you need to replicate the code for him, load the car between 3000-4000rpm in 5th gear at less than half throttle. It will do the trick every time.
Thanks, I appreciate the help.
It'll be a while before I go get the update unfortunately, I am hoping to have water/meth by then also.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:37 PM
EvoM Administrator

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
It'll be a while before I go get the update unfortunately, I am hoping to have water/meth by then also.
If your tuner is far and you need a quick fix, a manual boost controller set at 23psi maximum will correct the problem. P1235 is annoying, because it triggers a limp mode that reduces boost to around 12psi until the ignition is switched off and restarted.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

If your tuner is far and you need a quick fix, a manual boost controller set at 23psi maximum will correct the problem. P1235 is annoying, because it triggers a limp mode that reduces boost to around 12psi until the ignition is switched off and restarted.
I would slap my MBC on, however my Greddy boost gauge decided to die on me last weekend.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love how ECUtek can control so many things.. great find Noize!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
I love how ECUtek can control so many things.. great find Noize!
I can't take credit for anything other than reporting. Al or David get credit for discovering it, EcuTeK gets credit for repairing the issue, and Bruce at Dyno4mance gets the credit for doing such a great job with the ECU boost correction map on my car to make it not occur.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

I really hope Cam works out all these kinks before i get to him :P

Oh and Carlos, i hope you blow your car up and sell the parts to me. You wouldn't be the first though, some guy in Toronto wrote his off already, some salvage yard had an EVO 10 that they bought for 14.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrasticK

Oh and Carlos, i hope you blow your car up and sell the parts to me. You wouldn't be the first though, some guy in Toronto wrote his off already, some salvage yard had an EVO 10 that they bought for 14.
wahhhh. I want some parts off that.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrasticK

I want his driverside A Pillar. haha

So on 780tuners, they are saying that civic that was showing off would blow the doors off my car. Im thinking about laying down some cash on this.

Quick Reply: Boost = CEL