Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Tuning suggestions? Zchip or AMS tune for my car?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning suggestions? Zchip or AMS tune for my car?

My Evo X GSR only has a K&N drop in filter. I'm looking for reviews on the Z-chip as compared to a tune from AMS. I definately want to get a tune but want to know the advantages and disadvantages of both. Yes, I already searched. I'm on the fence, just need someone to push me over to one side.
Thanks guys!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:19 PM

i am in the same boat here guys except i have nothing done my evo 10 is bone stock what should i do to my car to give it that edge
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

OK, I'll push you. If you're in IL I would definitely make the trek to AMS.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
OK, I'll push you. If you're in IL I would definitely make the trek to AMS.
If you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask me!

Last edited by Noize; Dec 30, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmLB3Ga7UP4

We have had exceptional results, especially on stockish cars. They have the greatest gains in performance because 90% of the mods in the marketplace accomplish little bits of what the ZChip does with one plug-n-play device.

With the ZChip:
Out of the box, your unit comes with a basemap semi-tailored to your own Evo X and modifications.

You do not need to drive in for a custom dynotune anywhere.

You do not need to remove your ECU and mail it anywhere.

You can have it up and running in 10 minutes.

You can remove it in less than 5 minutes.

It does NOT reflash your ECU so you do not have to track down your tuner in order to reflash back to stock before you bring it to the dealer and hope that the ECU does not have a reflash counter.

The STOCK ECU maps are retained complete with FACTORY KNOCK CONTROL.

Minimum gains we have seen dynotested is +62whp on an independant dyno 4000 miles away on 92 octane on a BASE ZCHIP MAP. On our own car we gained +107whp on a stock X with MBC.

Comes with ZTuner software so that the END USER or selected tuner can continue to customize the tune as the car undergoes more mods in the future!

Full support site dedicated to the continued support of ZChip customers at www.zchip.net!
(Custom tuned map sharing, dyno results, visual installations VFAQs!)

Our support at TTP-Engineering with regard to assistance custom tuning and providing firmware support for product upgrades and updates!

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Dec 30, 2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:42 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by custm08
My Evo X GSR only has a K&N drop in filter. I'm looking for reviews on the Z-chip as compared to a tune from AMS. I definately want to get a tune but want to know the advantages and disadvantages of both. Yes, I already searched. I'm on the fence, just need someone to push me over to one side.
Thanks guys!
Let us know if we can be of assistance. We are available via PM, email, instant messenger, and at 407-475-0010.

Someone had mentioned other options.

Yes, TTP-Engineering reflashes the EVO X also, however for your modifications, the ZChip will provide you suitable power and torque gains as well as ease of installation, the ability to leave your ECU alone and with stock mapping and give you all of the gains of a reflash as we have tuned both.

The ZChip is a much easier interface for someone looking to install it in 10 minutes and start enjoying the power instantly.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

One other thing. You ARE local, which means you can get all the tech support you need in person or over the phone if you would rather do it that way.

I don't have a bunch of flashy graphics to post up, but our work and our reputation speak for themselves. We have an extensive background in tuning just about everything under the sun and very good research, development and problem solving skills. Don't be confused by huge numbers posted all over the internet and good marketing tactics. There is no magic involved in any tune, there is only one correct way to do it so that you get an even balance of power and longevity from your motor.

You tune can be customized to whatever type of driving conditions you encounter, and I am always available for support before and after your tune.

I won't get into the differences of piggyback tuning as compared to direct tuning at the ECU. This topic has already been beaten to death elsewhere and is the source of endless arguments which are rarely productive.

In short, stop by AMS and I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Go local!!!! Ams ftw!!!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

I own a Z-Chip and it was the best mod ive had done to my evo x. Go with a z-chip you wont regret it. I am one of the first couple z-chip owners and i daily drive my car. So far its been reliable and fast

the Z-chip has its own community forums as well just google zchip.

Last edited by Capone X; Dec 30, 2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Tune it yourself!

ECUFlash ftw!

Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with a custom tune for sure if you access to it. Why go for a generic piggyback ( z-chip ) when you can get a custom tune? Every car is a little different and tune specifically for your car will be much better in my opinion.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Man if you are local to AMS you cant go wrong its right there. This is pretty much a no brainer.
If you have a good shop local I would always go with them. The can take car of any of your problems right there. Both devices will work, but the winner of the USCC crown is in your back yard. I would go with them.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by custm08
Thanks guys!

Seems that you're local to AMS so I would say have them give you a custom tune which is always the best option to go with . AMS has tuned many cars and will have no problem getting you right !

PS : please lets stop the Vendor/product bashing , just give people your thoughts on the BEST way to reach their goals .

Best regards

Last edited by Noize; Dec 30, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Flaming and fighting removed. Please keep on to original post topic.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:42 PM
NMX

You asked for tuning suggestions, and I would highly recommend just reading more about what it is you are truly tuning. The ECU reflash will let you tune more parameters than the zchip piggyback will. I won't get into the list, but as you can see from the zchip screen shots, it is a rather simple device. If that's what you want, then get the zchip. Otherwise, I would highly recommend going for an ecu reflash, especially with AMS so close to you. You don't have to install anything, and they can tweak it fully to customize your car (boost, afr, mivec, etc). Bottom line: read more to learn about what each option truly gives you, and if it were my car, I would get the ecu reflash.

Quick Reply: Tuning suggestions? Zchip or AMS tune for my car?