Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What am I missing?

Hey everyone whats up. So I just ordered a ton of parts and I'm looking to get my car tuned. I feel like I am missing something though and I am looking for suggestions on what else I need before putting the car on the rollers. So far I have the following:

AMS intercooler
AMS upper/lower hardpipes
AMS CAI
T1R O2 housing
T1R 3" test pipe
Perrin 3" catback
Defi black face boost/egt gauges

(and nothing to do with the tune but I'm still super excited about my Tein coilover suspension and my Advan wheels!)

I'm looking to have the car tuned using the EcuFlash at CBRD. So what else do I need? Is a manual boost controller or maybe an upgraded boost solenoid needed? I really am more concerned with a safe reliable tune then just overall power.

Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks guys!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

It appears you have a nice list of parts there. I would look into some sort of boost control. Your best bet is to always consult your tuner with questions like these. While one tuner prefers an MBC another will prefer ECU controlled boost (boost pill). I assume Chad is tuning your car so I would ask him. Also, when do you plan to get tuned?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd definitely skip the MBC/EBC and just go ECU boost control.

You're going to need fuel injectors before any more upgrades.

And you need BRAKES. It's easy to get going WAY too fast and not have enough brakes to slow you down. I recommend braided brake lines, good fluid and some nice pads to get you started (talk to Girodisc).

If you're getting tuned, then a wideband AFR gauge will be nice also.

Short shifter, shifter bushings, fluid change...

Oh... and budget for a new clutch too. And likely tires
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
It appears you have a nice list of parts there. I would look into some sort of boost control. Your best bet is to always consult your tuner with questions like these. While one tuner prefers an MBC another will prefer ECU controlled boost (boost pill). I assume Chad is tuning your car so I would ask him. Also, when do you plan to get tuned?
I'll be honest man I haven't even called them yet. I plan on getting in contact with them this week. All of my parts are going to be here this week but I want to hold off on putting them on until I can get her tuned. That and the car only has about 400 miles on it lol.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I'd definitely skip the MBC/EBC and just go ECU boost control.

You're going to need fuel injectors before any more upgrades.

And you need BRAKES. It's easy to get going WAY too fast and not have enough brakes to slow you down. I recommend braided brake lines, good fluid and some nice pads to get you started (talk to Girodisc).

If you're getting tuned, then a wideband AFR gauge will be nice also.

Short shifter, shifter bushings, fluid change...

Oh... and budget for a new clutch too. And likely tires
I already have the TWM Performance short shifter, bushings, and shift knob. (along with the T1R suede shift boot). They are all great products!

I understand better brakes and what not but my question for now is more to do with the actual tune. Sounds like everyone agrees on boost control of some type but I'm trying to see what is the best method.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:03 PM

Until you get different injectors-and turn boost up-a manual boost control will suit your needs. You are in Delaware-(pm me, I am in Newark).
Tom
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MBCs really are old tech for something like the X. When it gets cold you have to remember to turn the MBC down, etc. If you are for sure going to get tuned, then just get the ECU to control the boost. It handles all that for you! Why spend more money when the computer can do it better than any simple MBC ever can?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

That should be enough for 330 - 340whp (mustang dyno) if you use ECU controlled boost at 26psi.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:04 PM

Ok guys so I just ordered the AEM Tru boost and the AEM wide band gauges. I also ordered the Perrin steering colom mount to sit the gauges in. So I should be good now right? According to AEM's website the Tru Boost gauge comes with its own boost solenoid and allows you to control boost.

Anyone have any experience with the AEM Tru Boost gauge?

Hey Evo GR8 I see you suggested 26psi. I'm just curios, why that number? Is it safe to run that much boost on a stock turbo/motor?

Thanks again everyone for the help!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:53 AM
Account Disabled

post numbers after the tune please
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
hey.. when did you move to the dark side??!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by AlxSTI
hey.. when did you move to the dark side??!

Hey queer stop trying to jack my thread!

Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor

Screw the mbc, and save your pennies for a clutch. Seems its a givin for any mod'd X
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by uponone76
Hey queer stop trying to jack my thread!

hey queer.. stop worry about power mods and start saving for clutches and repair bills!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by uponone76
Ok guys so I just ordered the AEM Tru boost and the AEM wide band gauges. I also ordered the Perrin steering colom mount to sit the gauges in. So I should be good now right? According to AEM's website the Tru Boost gauge comes with its own boost solenoid and allows you to control boost.

Anyone have any experience with the AEM Tru Boost gauge?

Hey Evo GR8 I see you suggested 26psi. I'm just curios, why that number? Is it safe to run that much boost on a stock turbo/motor?

Thanks again everyone for the help!
Cobb removed my restrictor pill and tuned me at 26psi using the AP. They said the Evo loves the boost on pump gas!