Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Part-throttle Knock on an 08 Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
I'd love to see logs from any other standalone users who have alot of daily driving logs.
Knock yourself out:

Logs from the last two months

Get it? "Knock yourself out" "knock"

I kill myself...
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cut down the initial images for clarity (not saying much... windows image editor sucks at making jpegs) and added fuel maps and what I just bumped my timing to (see the note, it wasn't this high before and probably won't stay this high).
If you are talking about paint, then save as png. It will be small (file size) and not look like crap.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for sharing!

Is that LPG as in liquid propane gas?! I'd love to see more ... I'll have to browse your posts.
Ya, you can find some pictures in my earlier posts. LPG has octane number about 100, so it works fine with high timing (except the 60-90 load) cells.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
the first 600 seconds of my logs are always filled with knock.

much less after that...

i figured its the trans or something warming up.. because it still happens well after ECT reaches nominal value.

if you want logs I can give you about 1+Gigs worth...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:08 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Knock yourself out:

Logs from the last two months

Get it? "Knock yourself out" "knock"

I kill myself...
You're killin' me smalls!
Thanks for the logs, I'll try to downloadthemall later and compile them.

Originally Posted by Golden
If you are talking about paint, then save as png. It will be small (file size) and not look like crap.
Good tip, will do. For some reason I always avoided them.

Originally Posted by tephra
the first 600 seconds of my logs are always filled with knock.

much less after that...

i figured its the trans or something warming up.. because it still happens well after ECT reaches nominal value.

if you want logs I can give you about 1+Gigs worth...
Looks like original log-time was preserved when I compiled these. Only about 1/4 of the items are in the <600s/10m range. I tried for 1000s since it's been winter up here and only lost about 10% more. I still wouldn't be surprised if that was the drivetrain warming up though. Trying 2000 seconds eliminated 3/4 of the items, however 33 minutes is the better part of my common drive... so thats probably not a good representation.

After running an `awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS=","} {print $2}' tempfile.csv | sort -n` on the last lines of all files it looks like only half of the files are longer than 1000s, and
not many are much longer than 2000s.

Tephra, you must put some miles on that X with that many logs!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
I have been running into spool up knock, well I was before I put my car into storage. Basically it seemed to happen when I would go WOT around 3.5k-4.5k trying to do the ole insta-spool and it would clean up after 6k and be perfect until 9k and when i would shift it would be fine too. On the dyno we didn't see any of this.

We are going to bring the det-can's with us on the street this spring when snow melts. I know this is different from what you are seeing as mine is at WOT and high load...but I think the 10's knock system is very different from the 8/9's. My tuner hates the X's knock system and doesn't trust it very much.
I'm having the same issue. Typically i'll get 1-2 counts on spool and nothing after that. However sometimes I'll see 0 and sometimes 5. It's really got me frustrated. I put the stock timing map on the car and I still had the same thing. AFR is around 10.8-11.0 The only thing I haven't tried is stock mivec maps. My car is a 2011 gsr with leanspool OFF. Drop in filter, uicp, MBC, test pipe and exhaust.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmorris1027
I'm having the same issue. Typically i'll get 1-2 counts on spool and nothing after that. However sometimes I'll see 0 and sometimes 5. It's really got me frustrated. I put the stock timing map on the car and I still had the same thing. AFR is around 10.8-11.0 The only thing I haven't tried is stock mivec maps. My car is a 2011 gsr with leanspool OFF. Drop in filter, uicp, MBC, test pipe and exhaust.
My car is considerably more modified, lol, and on E85.

However I did notice it only seems to happen when the car is getting very cold IAT's. When those heat up the issue disappears.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 08:13 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I never really got a chance to look through these logs. Its still on my "short-list", but I purchased a house recently, so I've been very busy getting it in shape. Hopefully I'll have some time soon.