Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

MAF Scaling help.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF Scaling help.

Has anyone tried to scale there MAF almost exactly? What I mean is set the fuel map to one constant value and then adjust the MAF scaling until you reach the set AFR in the fuel map.

How close did you scaling? +/- .3 AFR?

Also did you notice the AFR getting really rich when the BOV cracked open?

Did the AFR get lean where the car transitioned from closed loop to open loop?

Did you adjust the load to where it goes from close loop to open loop and scale the entire MAF? If so, how low (voltage wise) did you get to scale the MAF?

Is it safe to say that load is based on how much air going into the engine, right? The amount of air is messed by the volts that the MAF sensor reads. So can you say that for every load there is an associated MAF voltage?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rrkpitt15
Has anyone tried to scale there MAF almost exactly? What I mean is set the fuel map to one constant value and then adjust the MAF scaling until you reach the set AFR in the fuel map.

How close did you scaling? +/- .3 AFR?

Also did you notice the AFR getting really rich when the BOV cracked open?

Did the AFR get lean where the car transitioned from closed loop to open loop?

Did you adjust the load to where it goes from close loop to open loop and scale the entire MAF? If so, how low (voltage wise) did you get to scale the MAF?

Is it safe to say that load is based on how much air going into the engine, right? The amount of air is messed by the volts that the MAF sensor reads. So can you say that for every load there is an associated MAF voltage?
1st, what intake/maf housing are you using? if you have stock/oem, don't touch anything on scaling.
2nd, at least for what i do, is log the fuel trims at oem maf housing. then log several times the fuel trims for the new maf housing (i think tephra has a thread for this can't really remember). remember, the AFR on the fuel maps are "target" afr. it doesn't mean it is the actual afr because there are a lot of factors that affects afr, iat (that affects octane values), weather, etc..

on the scaling part, Golden can probably help you out. it would be great if his excel sheet is done.

on the afr getting rich, are you talking about when you let off the throttle? like the rev hang thing?

is your lean spool off already?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Akuma intake, FP Red turbo, FIC 1100 injectors, DW 301 fuel pump, etc.

I already have my car tuned with the help of golden. I just wanted to get my MAF scaling really close so it would make tuning the fuel maps oh so easy. Also this will make it easier if i wanted to run an AFR 16.2 (or alil richer to be safe) for best fuel economy during cruise and really easy for my switch to Ethanol. My leanspool is off.

The AFR gets rich when i am at partial throttle acceleration and the BOV cracks open, instantly it goes rich.

Last edited by rrkpitt15; Sep 16, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
you cant tune the MAF to get the values in the Fuel Map to be actual AFR's.

1) thats not how its designed
2) the ECU will use the MAP sensor to determine load (and thus fueling) in combination with the MAF...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
you cant tune the MAF to get the values in the Fuel Map to be actual AFR's.

1) thats not how its designed
2) the ECU will use the MAP sensor to determine load (and thus fueling) in combination with the MAF...

Alright, damn. I got them to read pretty close (+/- .3 AFR) at WOT. The partial throttle areas is what i was having trouble with. The partial throttle areas were not consistent with back to back runs comparing the MAF voltages. Oh well, I guess ill just tune my fuel map with the scaling i have now.

Thanks for your help!