Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Grimmspeed 3 port is garbage?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grimmspeed 3 port is garbage?

Hello again,

Harsh title i know, but i need to clear a few things up, i have my chosen tuner who has always done right by me, and has tuned my cars multiple times in the past, but i have a problem....

I was going to purchase a grimmspeed 3 port boost solenoid for my 2013 evo x, along with a turbosmart wastegate actuator, he instantly told me that the grimmspeed is garbage as the evo x has 6 (yes six) solenoids...... So im already confused as hell.

He told me the only boost solenoid kit worth buying is the Blitz SBC ID controller, but this is between $709-$900 in australia, compared to a grimmspeed 3 port which is $120 and turbosmart actuator $180........

Can somebody give me some confidence in what product is best? I do not mind going against my tuner with parts, but i dont like being told something is garbage?

All i want to do is fit a full turboback exhaust system, air intake, upper and lower intercooler piping, and get a tune with 98 octane (BP Ultimate) and land myself with 350awhp...... For now anyway

Any response appreciated !!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeD
Hello again,

Harsh title i know, but i need to clear a few things up, i have my chosen tuner who has always done right by me, and has tuned my cars multiple times in the past, but i have a problem....

I was going to purchase a grimmspeed 3 port boost solenoid for my 2013 evo x, along with a turbosmart wastegate actuator, he instantly told me that the grimmspeed is garbage as the evo x has 6 (yes six) solenoids...... So im already confused as hell.

He told me the only boost solenoid kit worth buying is the Blitz SBC ID controller, but this is between $709-$900 in australia, compared to a grimmspeed 3 port which is $120 and turbosmart actuator $180........

Can somebody give me some confidence in what product is best? I do not mind going against my tuner with parts, but i dont like being told something is garbage?

All i want to do is fit a full turboback exhaust system, air intake, upper and lower intercooler piping, and get a tune with 98 octane (BP Ultimate) and land myself with 350awhp...... For now anyway

Any response appreciated !!
Stick with the Grimmspeed 3 port, it works just fine.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 04:41 AM

Thanks e_kobz, i genuinely think its a good product, he obviously doesnt like tuning with the grimmspeed. I guess he will have to get over it hahaha. So what is the 6 solenoids hes talking about? And what is the difference between the 3 port and the blitz system?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6 solenoids?? Hah no, there are 2 for the factory setup...

Moving to a 3 port eliminates the 2 solenoid setup and goes with just one which is easier to control as its a simple duty cycle nothing more. You do however keep the 2nd stock solenoid plugged in to prevent a CEL.

And for reference I have had a GS 3-port solenoid on my car for 3.5 years and have never had an issue. Like all things mechanical a failure can happen but is it ****, no.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
It's a good product, TONS of X owners use them on their cars.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 08:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Grimmspeed is proven. I question your tuner.

Old Nov 6, 2014, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

nothing wrong with Grimspeed. You could also go with the GM 3 port. Much cheaper, and does the exact same job. I have personally installed 6 of these with no issues. Mine has been running with it for almost 2 years.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 02:07 PM

Thanks for all of your responses, that clears that up then hahaha. Im going to stick with my grimmspeed 3 port and upgraded actuator setup, i will question why he did not want me to buy the 3 port when i go in for the final tune, cheers
Old Nov 6, 2014, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's just another MAC solenoid. It's all good. GM unit is even cheaper.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

expensive but one of the best...

HKS evc6 ir

stepper motor...

Michael.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 09:18 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Grimmspeed is proven. I question your tuner.

+1 million to this
it's not even questionable!

Unless...the tuner is trying to avoid tuning a 3 port. The Blitz is an old school stand alone EBC
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Works fine for me
Old Dec 21, 2014, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

You will experience more issues with aftermarket boost controllers on the X than a 3-port.
Nearly all of them in my experience will have spiking issues on shifts and ramp up due to how quickly Mivec brings the boost in.

Had this same conversation on the dyno with a customer on Saturday who was running a HKS EVC5.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 04:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maikcat
expensive but one of the best...

HKS evc6 ir

stepper motor...

Michael.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i was told to use the grimmspeed over my evc as well

Last edited by jsaviour84; Dec 21, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Grimmspeed 3 port is garbage?