Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Question for those with AMS UICP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for those with AMS UICP

So, just got done installing this, took out for a test drive and didn't notice any irregular issues. Throttle response seems to be good and the car feels a bit jumpier, but I can't help but feel the installation was done wrong. My only question is whether or not the pipes are supposed to meet at middle coupler? By that I mean, like literally almost touching. I'm assuming they are, which is why there is a bulge, but fitment of the pipe leading to the hose that leads to the turbo outlet would probably barely make it. Just trying to see what everyone else did or has done.

in short, the pipes end where the red lines are on the picture (hopefully it's visible)

Question for those with AMS UICP-bswgab7.jpg

Last edited by R Lar; Feb 21, 2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Oh wow, I just realized this is the wrong section. Can we move it to engine?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

You want space between the pipes.

That "hump" in the middle of the coupler is there for a reason. It's to provide for a flexible interface between the two pipes. Otherwise the two pipes are going to make contact under load.

The engine moves around while you're driving. Especially "spirited" driving. Under load, even normal driving, the hot-hot pipe (fixed to the turbo) will move forward toward the hot pipe (fixed to the cross member). If the two were in installed in contact, or relatively close, my expectation would be that no gap would have the pipes crashing into one and other as you row through the gears.

I was impressed at how much the UICP moved just free revving while parked. Couplers expanding, pipes moving around.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
You want space between the pipes.

That "hump" in the middle of the coupler is there for a reason. It's to provide for a flexible interface between the two pipes. Otherwise the two pipes are going to make contact under load.

The engine moves around while you're driving. Especially "spirited" driving. Under load, even normal driving, the hot-hot pipe (fixed to the turbo) will move forward toward the hot pipe (fixed to the cross member). If the two were in installed in contact, or relatively close, my expectation would be that no gap would have the pipes crashing into one and other as you row through the gears.

I was impressed at how much the UICP moved just free revving while parked. Couplers expanding, pipes moving around.

Thanks for the detailed and helpful response!