Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Better dyno numbers?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better dyno numbers?

so I recently got a tune for my 14’ GSR and I’m definitely happy with the way the car feels. My mod list is
Cobb SF intake with inlet
Cobb 3 port
AMS widemouth DP
ETS HFC
Ultimate Racing dual exit
Excedy stage 1 382tq
Dyno 315 HP 335 TQ

my question is are there better combinations of parts I should’ve used to get higher numbers? I’ve read multiple times that intakes don’t matter much with stock turbo and I was told my exhaust set up is actually pretty good. Would a front mount make that much difference? What should I consider doing next? Different turbo and built motor are a few years away, just looking for some experienced opinions and ideas. Thanks everyone
Old Sep 2, 2018, 01:19 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
In general, You're probably pretty good as it sits now.

If you decide you need more, the easiest way for you to make more power would be to ditch the COBB and go with EcuFlash. I could be wrong, but I've never seen COBB do as good of a job as any other form of tuning.

From there you can always tune for e85 and swap injectors/fuel pump. That's relatively cheap and easy for the amount of power you will gain. On the bright side you won't sacrifice any of the car's response. E85 runs cool, so you can probably get away without a different FMIC, unless the X's OEM FMIC is really that bad (I'm not familiar with it's limits).

If you decide to do more on pump gas, you may need a FMIC (again, if the OEM part isn't up to task).
The following users liked this post:
Mendia89 (Sep 3, 2018)
Old Sep 2, 2018, 07:06 PM

I definitely appreciate the feedback, I don’t know of any E85 around me which sucks so I’ll probably just keep it as is until the full build. Thanks kaj
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Like Kaj said, I would definitely look into getting a custom tune. With a tactrix 2.0 cable, EcuFlash and evoscan you can flash the map, log and even get e tuned from great tuners if there isn't one in your area. Can even learn how to do it yourself! Which reminds me, if you dont already have a wideband AFR gauge or a boost gauge, I would get them!
Mendia89 (Sep 3, 2018)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd recommend removing the HFC for a TP is you want max power.

But those numbers look good for those mods.

And if you are running a COBB ACCESSPORT on an EVO X, you should get rid of it and get over to ECUFlash aka Open Source. Main issue with COBB is that it doesn't have temp compensation on the boost control (ECUFlash does because of ROM Mods). With out temp compensation, your gonna over boost in the winter and under boost in the summer ie your boost will change with temps. With ECUFlash a good tuner can give you a boost curve, that is solid and the same, all year long.
Mendia89 (Sep 3, 2018)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 08:11 PM

I do currently have an aem boost gauge and wideband in the car to monitor everything, I’ll start looking into evoscan and talk to my tuner to see what else we could do. I’ve been searching for E85 everywhere by me and it seems like I’m s**t out of luck lol thank you for the advice
Old Sep 3, 2018, 09:12 PM
kaj

As long as you aren't stuck with 91oct. If you are..well.. LOL
I ran 91oct for years, making 333whp. I had zero complaints. The car was still amazing.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mendia89
I definitely appreciate the feedback, I don’t know of any E85 around me which sucks so I’ll probably just keep it as is until the full build. Thanks kaj
Not sure where you are in North Jersey, but the Exxon at the Newark Airport Travel plaza has high quality E85. I go down there and fill up a few gas cans along with the car. Well worth it for the extra power.

Also, if you are close to New York state, there are several stations just over the border.
Mendia89 (Sep 7, 2018)
Old Sep 12, 2018, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you stay stock turbo the stock intercooler is perfectly fine for it. If anything i would go aftermarket upper intercooler pipe as the stock one tends to get boost leaks. its a mesh kind of fabric. with aftermarket you get a nice metal pipe. it helps spool up a bit quicker aswell. all thats left for power out of the stock turbo would be e85. if you cant get that and want more... time for a bigger turbo
Old Sep 12, 2018, 05:32 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by GnarlyEvo
if you stay stock turbo the stock intercooler is perfectly fine for it. If anything i would go aftermarket upper intercooler pipe as the stock one tends to get boost leaks. its a mesh kind of fabric. with aftermarket you get a nice metal pipe. it helps spool up a bit quicker aswell. all thats left for power out of the stock turbo would be e85. if you cant get that and want more... time for a bigger turbo
A mesh fabric UICP? Whaaa?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
A mesh fabric UICP? Whaaa?
LOL... not exactly. The factory intercooler soft pipes are reinforced rubber. They are wrapped with a reinforcing mesh that reduces how much they expand under pressure. They aren't really leak prone but replacing them with hard pipes will nominally improve spool up be removing any expansion in the intake system.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:14 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by splattj
LOL... not exactly. The factory intercooler soft pipes are reinforced rubber. They are wrapped with a reinforcing mesh that reduces how much they expand under pressure. They aren't really leak prone but replacing them with hard pipes will nominally improve spool up be removing any expansion in the intake system.
I know, I have the same on my IX. I was just trolling because the post had so much misinformation 😂
thanks for clearing it up for anyone that happens upon this thread and reads it, though !