Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

2103 Euro Evo X locked by Swiss tuner....

Old Dec 28, 2018, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2103 Euro Evo X locked by Swiss tuner....

Hi All, my first post, go easy please

New to Evo X’s, but have experience of tuning early Impreza’s (up to WRX/sti04) and Evo’s (up to Evo 8) using EcuTek products. I’m looking to buy a 2013 Evo X Arashi and ultimately use FlashECU to reprogram it - but it has been tuned by a Swiss tuner, and they have somehow locked the ECU (they say, I haven’t tried reading ECU yet with FlashECU). The Mitsubishi dealership selling the car on behalf of owner suggest they should be able to use their ECU tools to reflash a standard ROM onto the car, and I can then read it again.

Is this true? I thought I’d need to do a bench flash to over write what the tuner had done with a stock ROM, and was worried how to identify the correct ROM to use - can Mitsubishi dealerships do it for me safely, and then I can use ECUFlash to read the stock ROM as a base for programming?

I’ve test driven the car, the tuning is not that great IMO - based on another test drive of a stock 2015 final edition it just seems to overboost a little without that much more up top. Fairly sure I could do better myself, given my experience tuning the old 250ps Evo 8 to over 300ps using EcuTek.

Sorry, I’m sure answer is here somewhere already, but a quick search didn’t reveal what I needed.

Many thanks, Richard
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Just bench flash it with an OEM ROM and go from there.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 03:03 AM

Thanks - I was a bit nervous of that being my first introduction of ECUFlash Speaking with the techie at the Mitsubishi garage selling on behalf of the owner, he confirms he can use their MUT tool to reflash back to original ROM, think I'll take that option. Then use ECUFlash to read it at my leisure.

Thanks, Richard
Old Jan 18, 2019, 02:16 PM

Update time: I negotiated with Mitsu dealership to use their tools to flash it back to stock, and bought the car. Silly me, they said they’d put the latest software on it, and they have...but that’s version 56910011...standard definitions that come with ECUFlash only go up to 56910009...means I can read the ROM, but get an ECUFlash error “no definition file found”...

If i manually select the 56910009 definition file, ECUFlash opens the ROM OK, which is good.

I also have a stock oem 0009 ROM from a friend.

I assume I can then transfer the immobilizer and other dedicated car specific code, and then try and write the earlier ROM back to my ECU? And then I have a ROM file that lots of folks have already done work on, and would be the best base for me to start tuning with?

Does anyone know for sure?

Not sure if anyone is interested, but if anyone wants the latest Mitsu Evo X 56910011 ROM file, let me know

Cheers, Richard

Thanks! Richard
Old Jan 18, 2019, 03:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Yes that will work. No immobilizer in the Evo X ECU ROM to transfer. It's in the ETAC

Originally Posted by dowser
Update time: I negotiated with Mitsu dealership to use their tools to flash it back to stock, and bought the car. Silly me, they said they’d put the latest software on it, and they have...but that’s version 56910011...standard definitions that come with ECUFlash only go up to 56910009...means I can read the ROM, but get an ECUFlash error “no definition file found”...

If i manually select the 56910009 definition file, ECUFlash opens the ROM OK, which is good.

I also have a stock oem 0009 ROM from a friend.

I assume I can then transfer the immobilizer and other dedicated car specific code, and then try and write the earlier ROM back to my ECU? And then I have a ROM file that lots of folks have already done work on, and would be the best base for me to start tuning with?

Does anyone know for sure?

Not sure if anyone is interested, but if anyone wants the latest Mitsu Evo X 56910011 ROM file, let me know

Cheers, Richard

Thanks! Richard
The following users liked this post:
dowser (Jan 19, 2019)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 06:16 AM

Hmm - I figured I'd have to use the bench flash method to perform the above, so rather than go through that hassle I visited a friendly Mitsu dealer to see if they could load the 009 ROM via their MUT tool. While it looks like they theoretically could, the only ROM file on their MUT tool is the latest 011 version ROM. I guess their software update process removes all old ROM versions once there is a new release.

So...I need to bench flash it I guess, I'd hoped to avoid it
Old Feb 10, 2019, 04:43 AM

I built the wiring loom yesterday (2 hours) and successfully flashed an 0009 ROM today (10 mins ), so all good for pump, high flow cat and 3 port now

one gotcha - latest version of ECUFlash does not have the recovery mode option, it is automatically available under the ECU options when this is available

Search this Thread