Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

No Start - P0335 on freshly assembled car

Old Apr 21, 2019, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start - P0335 on freshly assembled car

I bought a non running 08 GSR that had a minor engine fire (due to a blown engine). Found a good used long block, put a new timing chain, head gasket and seals in it.

Replaced the engine harness and front chassis harness. Now I've got everything back together and it won't start. It cranks just fine but won't fire and I don't hear the pump running. No fuel at the rail. Sometimes I get a buzzing/hum from the throttle body when the ignition is on but nothing else. All the pump wiring checks out - I checked all the plugs on the ETACs too.

Pulling the codes there is one related to the ABS which I will get to later, and a P0335, crank position sensor. Thinking I might have screwed something up, I checked compression (150 on all 4) and checked the timing marks. Everything was perfect. I checked voltage at the CPS, and I'm seeing 5v on all three pins, which appears to be correct. I swapped it for the CPS from the blown engine, same result.

This has me stumped. From what I can gather there are three possibilities:

- ECU is toast. The fire melted wires together and maybe something shorted internally.
- Wiring harness is not correct. It's from a later GSR but everything matches up and as far as I can tell the ECU pins are connected exactly the same.
- Something else mechanical. Maybe the ECU doesn't like the timing it sees from the new chain? I paid Tephra $20 for his chain stretch software and have not heard back for a couple of weeks. Was planning to 0 it out.

Any ideas? The ECU communicates with the Openport fine, but it's locked against reading due to an AP being installed. I'll try to bench it at some point but would prefer to get the car running if I can first. When you bench-flash an ECU does it replace the timing chain stretch values?

I have the Etacs Decoder software which I assume can be used to swap VINs on a replacement ECU if needed. Not sure what else has to be done.
Old May 22, 2019, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In case anyone is wondering, the ECU was toast. Lost its internal ground. I MIGHT try to fix it but for now the car is running great on another ECU.

Search this Thread