EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums-257/)
-   -   10% Ethanol (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums/344280-10-ethanol.html)

Noize May 8, 2008 01:35 PM

10% Ethanol

OK, as of last month, all our local Shell stations use 10% ethanol in their fuel now. I have heard that the entire state is using 10% ethanol, but I have yet to see that verifcation in the form of a sticker on the pumps at other stations.

This becomes more interesting when we think about tuning. You have to assume to keep the (R+M)/2 to be 93 octane, that they are probably using lower octane "gasoline" fuel at the pre-ethanol mix. Ethanol is somewhere near 110 octane.

E85 (85% ethanol) at stoich is around 9.7:1. Gasoline at stoich is 14.7:1. Now it doesn't take rocket science to know that if you have nine parts 14.7:1 and one part 9.7:1, you would have a lower stoich AFR at around 14.2:1. Here come my questions: Would you map everything a tiny bit richer than you used to? Are there any concerns for closed loop fueling, or since the sensors read in lambda, will they automatically adjust to the correct new fueling level?

Thanks,

Seth

Robevo RS May 8, 2008 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Noize (Post 5640445)
OK, as of last month, all our local Shell stations use 10% ethanol in their fuel now. I have heard that the entire state is using 10% ethanol, but I have yet to see that verifcation in the form of a sticker on the pumps at other stations.

This becomes more interesting when we think about tuning. You have to assume to keep the (R+M)/2 to be 93 octane, that they are probably using lower octane "gasoline" fuel at the pre-ethanol mix. Ethanol is somewhere near 110 octane.

E85 (85% ethanol) at stoich is around 9.7:1. Gasoline at stoich is 14.7:1. Now it doesn't take rocket science to know that if you have nine parts 14.7:1 and one part 9.7:1, you would have a lower stoich AFR at around 14.2:1. Here come my questions: Would you map everything a tiny bit richer than you used to? Are there any concerns for closed loop fueling, or since the sensors read in lambda, will they automatically adjust to the correct new fueling level?

Thanks,

Seth

here in Jersey a long time ago they using 10-15% ethanol.
But i would like to use a 100% even if its cost $2 more, and have a less gas milage. :)

Mountainbiker54 May 8, 2008 02:26 PM

On that note I just saw this. A possible alternative to us high octane gas guzzlers.

http://gizmodo.com/388542/microfuele...for-pre+orders

Sky Evo X May 8, 2008 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mountainbiker54 (Post 5640595)
On that note I just saw this. A possible alternative to us high octane gas guzzlers.

http://gizmodo.com/388542/microfuele...for-pre+orders

Great find. Does anyone know the true price per a gallon while making ethanol?

Someone said this on that link

"It will take between 10lbs to 14lbs of sugar to produce 1 gallon of ethanol."

Seems impractical if its true. You would have to store 140 pounds of sugar for just 10 gallons, which does not include the yeast.

mitsuboost30 May 8, 2008 02:41 PM

Just to let u guys know... my friend works at a Gas distrobution center... and EVERY SINGLE GASS STATION ADDS at least 10% if not more Ethanol to there gas!!.
its called an additive.. whether they notify u at the pumps or NOT ITS IN THERE!!!!

IM searious and 10000% positive and correct!
synocois the only gas station that has there own distobution center every other station goes to a universal distributer!!

CC16 May 8, 2008 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuboost30 (Post 5640643)
Just to let u guys know... my friend works at a Gas distrobution center... and EVERY SINGLE GASS STATION ADDS at least 10% if not more Ethanol to there gas!!.
its called an additive.. whether they notify u at the pumps or NOT ITS IN THERE!!!!

IM searious and 10000% positive and correct!
synocois the only gas station that has there own distobution center every other station goes to a universal distributer!!

He speaks the truth. All the pumps aruond here say "10% Ethanol may be in each gallon" or something similiar to that.

Noize May 8, 2008 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by CC16 (Post 5641103)
He speaks the truth. All the pumps aruond here say "10% Ethanol may be in each gallon" or something similiar to that.

He might speak the truth for his state, not the entire country. We haven't had nearly as high ethanol content in my state until early April of this year.

Mightygnu May 8, 2008 08:55 PM

Very interesting thread! Watching this one!

Talon_66 May 9, 2008 04:34 AM

I use 94 octane, w/ Ethanol (ethanol is added after)

xPRimNT May 9, 2008 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Talon_66 (Post 5642816)
I use 94 octane, w/ Ethanol (ethanol is added after)

Out of curiosity, how many K's do you get for a tank of the good stuff?

Still trying to gauge whether I should force myself to go 94 for a tune or stick with the easier-to-find 91.