EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums-257/)
-   -   2015 evo x gsr catless options for echeck (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums/754746-2015-evo-x-gsr-catless-options-echeck.html)

White2015evo Jun 8, 2019 01:12 PM

2015 evo x gsr catless options for echeck

Ok well I inherited a 2015 evo x gsr and my brother took off the old stock exhaust and added a top speed catless exhaust to it. Problem is we live in a area that requires e check. We also have a self e check place as well where they dont stick a kirrornunder your car and look for one. But he didnt have a tune in the car and I'm getting ready to purchase it and get it transferred into my name . I really dont want to put the old exhaust back on it just for a echeck . Is there ant options to go about that will fool the computers at the place to pass me in a e check without cats on the car? The old exhaust is sitting in his attic fully built still just dont want to pay someone to install it then pay someone again to un installing and add the old exhaust back on it. Currently the cars blows fireballs out The tailpipes , I'm assuming that's because it's running rich and needs a tune? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Metal_AF Jun 8, 2019 02:52 PM

It probably does need a tune. Are you able to swap just the cat with the test pipe? Even if they don't check for a cat, it sounds like it would probably fail the echeck. This might not be a bad place to start if you wanted to get familiar with the car. Swapping out an exhaust is usually pretty easy as long as the bolts aren't seized up. Just a couple bolts, couple rubber hangers and moving the o2 sensor. Another option would be a highflow cat, and only swap once.

moladin Jun 8, 2019 06:23 PM

I second on the High Flow Cat. I have ETS one, pass the Emission test no problem. The test must read OK ready, if it reads as "unreadable" you will not get a pass.

White2015evo Jun 9, 2019 07:38 AM

Ok. I'm not sure. The old exhaust looks a bit weathered. Rusted. I was already thinking maybe a high flow cat but Is there any performance loss if I throw a high flow cat on the system that doesn't have a cat? I believe he has the top speed pro 1 catback system and just took the cats off. The old system has the cat connected then it runs down about 2 or 3 ft. And there is another cat looking piece on it. Not sure what it is. And if I added a cat to that I'd have to cut away room for the cat on the new system? I'm not to familiar with this car yet. I had other cars I modified exhausts but I'm never heard of a test pipe before untill I came here. Might be just a evo thing? First import car I've ever had. So bear with me 😂

moladin Jun 9, 2019 11:13 AM

That's what the forums are for, so don't worry about it. I hardly think you will lose any noticeable performance going with HFC. If you look through HFC, it's pretty much a see through. LOL. Most of the aftermarket HFC will work with stock location mounts. If you have some weird configuration then modification will be required. The trick of HFC to pass the Emission is their J-bung confguration, it's also the reason why I choose ETS.

I just googled "Top Speed Pro 1" for EVO X, and that's the cheapest full Titanium exhaust system I have ever seen $1710. I am not sure why they are showing 4 pieces though, and none of them looks like a downpipe, it's one piece too many. Looks good though.

RevMaynard Jun 11, 2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by moladin (Post 11875492)
I second on the High Flow Cat. I have ETS one, pass the Emission test no problem. The test must read OK ready, if it reads as "unreadable" you will not get a pass.

Good to know, I just ordered an ETS Street High Flow Cat yesterday.

Anything I should know before installing? I'm running it on the stock downpipe and catback, this car is sleeper...most think it's just Lancer, which is perfect!

moladin Jun 17, 2019 03:53 PM

Nothing special, just be careful taking out your sensors so you don't break it and need to buy a new one. They are not cheap. Good luck!

RevMaynard Jun 18, 2019 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by moladin (Post 11876568)
Nothing special, just be careful taking out your sensors so you don't break it and need to buy a new one. They are not cheap. Good luck!

I bought a couple of O2 sensors a while ago when I saw a deal come up on ebay, 2 for $300 CAD. I'm having the ETS and AEM WB UEGO installed by a local mechanic, without a lift I'd be half-assing something.

Cheers
RM

SlowJoe Jun 18, 2019 10:31 AM

If you are going to get it tuned anyways, why not just buy an accessport and turn it off with Ecuflash?

RazorLab Jun 18, 2019 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SlowJoe (Post 11876672)
If you are going to get it tuned anyways, why not just buy an accessport and turn it off with Ecuflash?

Accessport and Ecuflash are two different things. They do not work together.

Either way, your sentiment is correct. Just turn off things in the ROM. done.

SlowJoe Jun 18, 2019 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab (Post 11876739)
Accessport and Ecuflash are two different things. They do not work together.

Either way, your sentiment is correct. Just turn off things in the ROM. done.

Sorry, Openport 2.0.

Either way makes more sense then replacing parts if he is going to eventually tune it.

moladin Jun 23, 2019 11:15 AM

Turn off things huh? Well that was done by my previous tuner and I didn't pass the Emission test because it was turn off. It must read "ready". If it's unreadable, the car will not pass. At least that was my experience.

SlowJoe Jun 23, 2019 11:59 AM

If you do it correctly, it will look like it passes/is ready.

RazorLab Jun 23, 2019 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by moladin (Post 11877244)
Turn off things huh? Well that was done by my previous tuner and I didn't pass the Emission test because it was turn off. It must read "ready". If it's unreadable, the car will not pass. At least that was my experience.

Your tuner didn’t do it correctly then.

moladin Jun 26, 2019 05:37 PM

That's possible, so I got a new tuner and Chet fixed it.