Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ultimate Racing Exhaust review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Racing Exhaust review

I installed my new UR downpipe-back exhaust.

I bought the o2/downpipe for a complete turboback, but started working on the bolts, said hell no, and put it on the shelf for now. This is the stock bolts, no reflection on the UR unit. One day when I'm more motivated or have some help I'll install the o2/DP.

Fit and finish is beautiful. I work around professional welders. I've seen good welds. These are good welds. The key for me is that everything tucks up nice. Some exhausts have some very low hanging parts.

Install of the testpipe, midpipe, and muffler section is easy as pie. I got the resonated testpipe because I was worried about volume/drone. The entire install took me about 2 hours. No problem removing the o2 sensor.

Started the car for the first time and got a check engine light. Haven't got it again, so I'm pretty sure that I got penetrating lube on the o2 that burned off. No worries.

My first impression was LOUD!, but I got over it. Be prepared that this is definitely going to be louder than stock. Cops here know me b/c of my open exhaust hondas and don't bother me over this, but you will probably get attention for it if you've got bored cops or old neighbors. After a day or two, I absolutely love the sound. My neighbor, who is not a car guy, thinks the car sounds great. He can also hear me when I turn the corner onto my block.

It doesn't have any significant drone at highway speeds, but you can absolutely hear the engine while shifting. Quite loud at wide open throttle, but a deep, throaty loud. Very good tone.

I would buy this again if I had a choice. The shop guys offered to swap out the test-pipe for a mini-muffler if I paid shipping, so that's points in their favor. Not sure if I was supposed to talk about that, but it's good press.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Glad to hear you like it. Happy boosting!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

This is the setup i'm going for once damn tax returns come back.
I heard this video on youtube with their turbo-back and test pipe setup and almost went poopies in my pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHx-_XxEyH0

Vvvvvery throaty.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the positive words. I'm happy that you're pleased with our exhaust.

Our catback is a performance-oriented system. It is full 3" from the start to end, and the flow is completely straight through.

Keep in mind that we've got every option under the sun to customize the sound to suit your needs. You could even add a mini-muffler section to your catback's midpipe!

Seeing as you're used to running open exhaust Hondas (!!!) I'm sure I won't be hearing from you about any mini-mufflers!

Darryl
www.ultimate-racing.com
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sicks
I heard this video on youtube with their turbo-back and test pipe setup and almost went poopies in my pants.

Vvvvvery throaty.
That's a really fun video. I've actually got it bookmarked

Keep in mind though that this customer is running a test pipe, so the system is at it's absolute loudest. I also think the video exaggerates the loudness of our exhaust.

Darryl
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

i also just installed my ur testpipe and cat back, quality is second to none, fit was perfect. Car sound great now and what a difference on the ol butt dyno..
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

I 100% completly agree with this review. I have the downpipe/testpipe/muffler set up and i absolutely love it. No regrets, I suggest it to all the evo's I know, and i get compliments all the time on it. I would not swap this for any other exhaust out there, no matter what. I do need to get the downpipe/02 housing though...
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Darryl@Ultimate Racing
That's a really fun video. I've actually got it bookmarked

Keep in mind though that this customer is running a test pipe, so the system is at it's absolute loudest. I also think the video exaggerates the loudness of our exhaust.

Darryl
that's what i'm looking for
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

very nice honest review...thanks
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:14 PM

Nice review! Over time I believe it gets a bit quieter, or maybe my ears just get used to it. After hearing the turbo-back initially and then after a few times at the track, I do think the tone at least is a lot nicer sounding that initial install. Enjoy!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:15 PM

Say mooserov where in Louisiana are you at? Haven't seen you down here in the N.O.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sicks

Vvvvvery throaty.
maybe this vid threw it off a little but it sounds very rumbly almost dare i say boxerish is that actual or just the crappy vid.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

i just got this exhaust today after purchasing it from ebay last week. it really looks nice , i still have to install it yet but i need a little help since im pretty new at this. i already have the cat and 2 midpipe section, i'd like to have the complete turbo back set up. i am ready to buy them right now after reading this review. UR pm me with a quote on what i need ,. 91325
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Riz5
Say mooserov where in Louisiana are you at? Haven't seen you down here in the N.O.
i live in the little town of morgan city, an hour west of N.O., an hour south of Lafayette
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

congrats man, I got the same thing, except w/the mini-muffler test pipe. Cops here in Hawaii are dicks and will find anything to use as an excuse to give you a ticket. But I mainly got it cuz I didn't want the car to be TOO loud, and I must say, it sounds AWESOME!

Quick Reply: Ultimate Racing Exhaust review