Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

new exedy clutch and funny noises!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new exedy clutch and funny noises!

my new clutch was finished being put in last thursday. all went well except for a little low fluid and loose lower arm bar bolts. i got past the 500 miles for breaking it in today and then i noticed when i was backing out of a parking space that there was what sounded kinda like a rubbing noise. I only hear the noise when i'm backing up. also, i engaged a teeny bit hard one time today and there was kind of a 'clink' noise about the same time the clutch grabbed.Any serious input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

That's prefectly normal with the Exedy or any twin metallic clutch.

Have fune with the extra grab.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:55 PM

what is? both the noises or the rub in reverse?
Old May 7, 2009, 10:25 PM

bump-does anyone else know?
Old May 8, 2009, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I do not know what the noise is exactly, but I have read multiple threads before I purchased the exedy and it sounds like it takes some time to get rid of the chatter noise it makes at times. I assume it just takes awhile to get everything broken so it seats right when you shift. I think this is normal, but if you feel uncomfortable I would take it back to the place that installed it.

I also recommend this for your car since you have a more gripy clutch now. There are multiple threads now of higher pedal pressure clutches breaking the master cylinder
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14082
Old May 8, 2009, 11:41 AM
Account Disabled

exedy clutchs make noise when put in gear many times when buying the clutch if you read before they warn you of this it is perfectly normal ..and if you have 2double or triple disk it is worst
Old May 8, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by dcasandman
I do not know what the noise is exactly, but I have read multiple threads before I purchased the exedy and it sounds like it takes some time to get rid of the chatter noise it makes at times. I assume it just takes awhile to get everything broken so it seats right when you shift. I think this is normal, but if you feel uncomfortable I would take it back to the place that installed it.

I also recommend this for your car since you have a more gripy clutch now. There are multiple threads now of higher pedal pressure clutches breaking the master cylinder
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14082

thanks for the suggestion.....the clutch is already broken in. i know about the chatter and i am not too worried about the clink when i engage anymore. i'm mainly worried about the rubbing noise when i reverse. i kinda sounds like im driving with the ebrake on when i first start to reverse but i dont have the ebrake on the my brakes are fine...i'm positive that the clutch was installed right because if it wasn't. , then wouldn't i notice something before ive already got 500 miles on it?
Old May 8, 2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Evo a Mula
exedy clutchs make noise when put in gear many times when buying the clutch if you read before they warn you of this it is perfectly normal ..and if you have 2double or triple disk it is worst
thanx for the help.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:25 AM

bump
Old May 9, 2009, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Hello again.....

you may have an under skirt rubbing that you only hear in reverse check this. It may be, something plactic rubbing on something. It could even be your breaks, rubbing, but it's wierd it dosen't do it going forward. look under the car.

I don't think it's your clutch it's always turning in one direction so reverse woldn't change the way your clutch works. The clunk was you shocking your drive train. Essentially there is a little bit of slop if you have tension off everything, and you drop the clutch too quickly you'll sometimes hear a clunk that's the metal parts slapping together all at once.

I have done it in stop and go traffic, usually there is no harm but any time you shock the drivetrain it can cause some type of damage. Usually not daily driving, but if you do this on a high TQ/HP car at high RPM you can snap something or strip a gear. It's better to be positively engaged, so there is no sudden jerk when appling power. I don't think this is your case.

I'm thinking what your thinking, your clutch wouldn't make this noise, I have an exedy twin plate I've never heard anything similar to this the chattering is normal. It has to be something rubbing!! It dosen't sound like the clutch, I'm reitterating look under the car.
Old May 9, 2009, 08:46 AM

thanks for the help! hopw u get to savannah soon!
Old May 9, 2009, 12:16 PM

if i was accidently not letting my foot all the way off the clutch while reversing because i'm using that foot for leverage to look behind me then could that be why the clutch is making a rubbing noise and only in reverse?
Old May 9, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

well..............that's something I wasn't expecting!! if it was partially engaged Maybe it could it being a new clutch and all. Yeah this could be it maybe, even when I slip my clutch it dosen't do that but...... Try to not keep th clutch partially engaged while backing up do it in an empty parking lot where you have room. to just back up and turn your tires essentially drive backwards and let us know how it sounds.

your clutch dosen't fully engage when your driving forward, until you let your foot off the clutch, if you have it pushed partially in, while going forward does it make the rubbing noise? Do these tests and let us know.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

The only reason your clutch burned last time was because you always keep your foot on the clutch..
Could you please record the sound?!
In that case we have more idea what is going on..
Old May 9, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

don't ride the clutch often, that's a big no no, that'll kill the clutch, fast!

Quick Reply: new exedy clutch and funny noises!