Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Reverse is no where to be found...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're at redline in 4th and you accidently shift into 3rd, what happens? The car doesn't just skid it's tires back down to redline in 3rd. It spins the motor and trans up to 9K RPM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
If you're at redline in 4th and you accidently shift into 3rd, what happens? The car doesn't just skid it's tires back down to redline in 3rd. It spins the motor and trans up to 9K RPM.
that is what called "money shift"... And for a reason.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since I've replaced my clutch, I've found that R is MUCH harder to engage. I typically roll from 2 to R in order to get it in smoothly. I think the 1+2=R was a bad idea and not worth the weight/packaging savings.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
that is what called "money shift"... And for a reason.
Gotcha .
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:31 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
I had a similar overrev before my reverse went out, so I can support this therory. Think about taking 3rd when you needed 5th on a drag strip. I'm pretty sure the rev limit means nothing at that point. The engine will spin much higher than 7500 if it's forced too.

My reverse has also loosened up since doing the 2-3-Rev trick, and has basically 'fixed itself'. I still have a grind going into 5th though, which I'm not sure is related, but started at the same time and is also annoying.
Yeah, I was talking about a natural high rev, not an !oops! money shift. That's why I asked him what he meant by overrev. You force it into wrong gear, and it will rev to wherever. Scary stuff.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

My car sees rev limiter with too much frequency (autocross). I don't think that is causing the issues. My car also is VERY notchy from 1-2 and on a hard start it can be quite tough to get into 2 (grind, grind, grind it til you find it).

I personally think that the syncros are bad/slowly committing suicide in my tranny.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Damn! Now I am scared to go get X!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't be. For every one complaint on here there are likely 100 without complaints.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I wouldn't be. For every one complaint on here there are likely 100 without complaints.
Hell, I'm one of the ones complaining, and I would still buy my X over again
Old Jun 4, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goofygrin
My car sees rev limiter with too much frequency (autocross). I don't think that is causing the issues. My car also is VERY notchy from 1-2 and on a hard start it can be quite tough to get into 2 (grind, grind, grind it til you find it).

I personally think that the syncros are bad/slowly committing suicide in my tranny.
I do have the occasional notchiness, but grinding ???? Either you still need to get used to shifting correctly, or you got a defective tranny. I used to have grinding problems when I had the car new, but it was more because of the fact that it had been a while since I drove a manual and because I was still getting used to the clutch release point and shift angles for putting the car into the gear of choice. Had nothing to do with the tranny. The notchiness is definitely due to the tranny design.

If you know you are doing things right, get it to the dealer and go for a ride with the technician. Have him drive it and see if he can see the issue.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:24 PM

My tranny was very notchy even days after driving it off the lot. I have driven stick for years and shift very well. This car has always had a notchy tranny. I took it into the dealership just after I bought it, and about 7000 miles later and both times they claimed they didn't find any problems. Now I am having problems with the reverse. I still think it is due to over-revving (and no, I did not miss a gear, I just hit the rev limiter). Anyway, I think this tranny is a piece of #$*&. The fact that it spins at almost 4000 rpms at 80 mph is a problem in itself. My reverse is beginning to loosen up again but I still have to work it into gear. Someone PLEASE come out with a better tranny (preferably a 6 speed) for this car!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by oraclesam
My tranny was very notchy even days after driving it off the lot. I have driven stick for years and shift very well. This car has always had a notchy tranny. I took it into the dealership just after I bought it, and about 7000 miles later and both times they claimed they didn't find any problems. Now I am having problems with the reverse. I still think it is due to over-revving (and no, I did not miss a gear, I just hit the rev limiter). Anyway, I think this tranny is a piece of #$*&. The fact that it spins at almost 4000 rpms at 80 mph is a problem in itself. My reverse is beginning to loosen up again but I still have to work it into gear. Someone PLEASE come out with a better tranny (preferably a 6 speed) for this car!
Just to add, my car now has 23,000 miles on it. I do have several mods and the reverse issue is the ONLY problem I have had. I owe that to my builder and tuner. Thanks guys.

Also, as for someone coming out with a 6 speed tranny. I am willing to beta test it, ;-)
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
I do have the occasional notchiness, but grinding ???? Either you still need to get used to shifting correctly, or you got a defective tranny. I used to have grinding problems when I had the car new, but it was more because of the fact that it had been a while since I drove a manual and because I was still getting used to the clutch release point and shift angles for putting the car into the gear of choice. Had nothing to do with the tranny. The notchiness is definitely due to the tranny design.

If you know you are doing things right, get it to the dealer and go for a ride with the technician. Have him drive it and see if he can see the issue.
haha.. the dealer's not going to warranty my car, so why bother? I know what I'm doing and I am NOT the only person with this issue. Just because you can't wrap your head around it doesn't make it not an issue.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

My car still doesnt have reverse. It sucks. F reverse. I don't need that ****. Hey goofygrin did you ever try to buy a lambo at one point?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, But today I went to get into my car and reverse out of my garage and as usual there is a slight resistance going into reverse, but with the clutch to the floor, and trying to push it into reverse, it wouldnt drop in, so I try 1st-rev, no luck, 2nd-rev, luck, etc through all gears, with no luck, then I put it into first, drove foward about a foot, then shifted into reverse... Is there something goin on with my girl or is this something thats been happening to all of you? Mods are posted below.

Quick Reply: Reverse is no where to be found...