Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Did I kill the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I kill the clutch?

Spent the night installing UR test pipe and catback. I have the dp+02 sitting here, just dont want to install it myself. So I decided to load up the stage 2 cobb ap map and go for my first test drive. Sounds great!! however, on a back road I decided to try and run a quick 0-60 / cobb ap dyno to see how the new map performs, and I had an issue with the launch. When I let out the clutch at 5500, the car barely moved, and I revved straight to 7500, shifted, and was on 7500 immediately again. I think I might have even hit fuel cut but i'm not sure if that was the issue. Go straight home, and I smell something in the garage. But I dont think it was clutch, might have just been because of the TP and I was smelling fuel (what I initially thought it was) but with everyone having issues with the clutch, and with the odd launch I just had (2nd launch ever) then i'm not sure whats going on. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:32 PM

Did you smell clutch when driving home or after you tried to launch the car.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

ive burnt a few clutches and you can smell it for a while. the last one was a third gear burnout in my neon and i parked it for 2 weeks and could still smell it the next time i drove it
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

I didnt really ever smell clutch. I smelled exhaust once i pulled into the garage. The part that scares me clutch wise is why I revved to 7500 in 1st,2nd while only going ~20mph. And that screams dead clutch to me. IDK i'll see how it drives in the morning I suppose.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:40 PM

You can defiantly tell what a burnt clutch smells like. It smells like burnt roman noodles. I know it sounds funny but that what it smells like.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:42 PM

It sound like you over heated the clutch your probably going to smell it for awhile. You glazed the clutch.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

i think it kinda smells like burnt brakes and tire smoke mixed
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:45 PM

[quote=blaze00;7193312]i think it kinda smells like burnt brakes and tire smoke mixed[/quot

Yea that a better explanation then my burnt roman noodles.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep... welcome to your first appearance of a slipping clutch.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

It's ok, mine did that the first time I launched it too and after about a week the smell went away. My clutch has been fine ever since, even after a few hard launches at the track and the street with 6k rpm 2step. It only ever reved up like that the first time I did it.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
Spent the night installing UR test pipe and catback. I have the dp+02 sitting here, just dont want to install it myself. So I decided to load up the stage 2 cobb ap map and go for my first test drive. Sounds great!! however, on a back road I decided to try and run a quick 0-60 / cobb ap dyno to see how the new map performs, and I had an issue with the launch. When I let out the clutch at 5500, the car barely moved, and I revved straight to 7500, shifted, and was on 7500 immediately again. I think I might have even hit fuel cut but i'm not sure if that was the issue. Go straight home, and I smell something in the garage. But I dont think it was clutch, might have just been because of the TP and I was smelling fuel (what I initially thought it was) but with everyone having issues with the clutch, and with the odd launch I just had (2nd launch ever) then i'm not sure whats going on. Any thoughts?
you got to ride the clutch in 1st gear when you do your launch. otherwise your flywheel wouldn't engage correctly and slip out.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

you prolly burnt some.. but you should be ok if it happened only once for few sec
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:34 AM

Yea I did the same thing man, I got tuned on Monday and on Tuesday i launched it for the first time, except i took off nice and smooth, was great till i hit about 7,500rpms and the clutch just said F U to me and stayed there, did it in second too. Wouldn't top out. Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58sHHvB7TmQ

Guess I over estimated the strength of the stock clutch, having 100 more hp and the awd on a slight hill killed it. Too used to spinning tire in the old turbo rsx, didn't realize for a sec that i was just slipping clutch lol

Now my clutch slips when taking off from a stop, but otherwise is fine. Smelt for like 2 days thou :P
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Nooo don't listen to that guy that said to ride the clutch in 1st. Holy hell. You almost need to side step it in order to not destroy it. I've got about 6 or 7 hard launches on mine at 6k rpm and its just as good as the day I got it.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Once a clutch/flywheel gets glazed will the glaze wear off after a while or is it toast?

Quick Reply: Did I kill the clutch?