Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Noisy exhausts - good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, the perfect sounding exhaust is a completely stock G35/350Z with the exception of headers. It is not loud, yet it is sexy as hell. Second place is the Lexus LF-A. Neither are atrociously loud, but very noticeably loud when you're really gettin on it.

To sum it all up, I don't like loud exhausts, I think you should only go as loud as you're limited by performance. Like someone else said, loud does not = fast... so if you can make a full turbo-back exhaust that will bolt right up to give say +15 whp untuned, and then make another one that has the same exhaust tip design (dual exit with rolled tips if that's your fancy) that will also promise +15 whp untuned but is the same note/pitch just a whole hell of a lot louder, which one would you go with?

It's simple for me... the quiet one.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was 20 with a DSM all I cared about was how much power my exhaust made and how cheap it was. Now I care about making sure I'm not embarrassed if my boss has to ride in my car somewhere - and loud exhausts no longer work for me.

*Edit - the Magnaflow is absolutely perfect for me in terms of the volume and tone. Quiet at cruise and deep/mean at WOT.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
To me, the perfect sounding exhaust is a completely stock G35/350Z with the exception of headers. It is not loud, yet it is sexy as hell. Second place is the Lexus LF-A. Neither are atrociously loud, but very noticeably loud when you're really gettin on it.
As much as I like the current exhaust system on my Evo (AMS HFC & Perrin CBE), no Japanese exhaust sounds as sexy as a good 'ol American V8 exhaust.

I LOVED the sound of my 04 mach 1 with an MRT H-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers. Only a little louder at idle than stock...and pure sex at WOT.

But I agree with you on an exhaust that is too loud...unless you're some dumb kid with a security complex.

Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

my favorite sound is sitting at the top of a mountain road and hearing a STOCK EXHAUST evo come up the hill... all u hear is air! its as if someone holds an air hose up to your ear... i love it.. Or when ur sitting up there and one takes off down the mountain to chase the exotic that just revved at you FFSSSSSSSSSSSSS FSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS