Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Vibration when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Vibration when accelerating?

Occasionally i'll notice a vibration while accelerating. Like this morning I was coming up an on-ramp and was in third gear. I punched it a little bit when getting on the highway and then shifted to fourth. I hit the gas pretty hard and then I could notice a definite "vibration" if that's what you want to call it. I could feel it in the seat. It's not violent or anything or vibrate anything in the car. Just wondering if anyone has noticed it before.

I am pretty much stock. I have intercooler piping, drop-in, and have a stage 1 Cobb AP installed. I have springs too but I don't think that's it. I have 23k miles now and am on the stock clutch.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have the same thing and have noticed it after installing the exedy twin disc (i know that it doesn't apply to you). i was told that it's probably because the aftermarket clutch and flywheels weren't balanced with the motor.

maybe it's something else. if you're having what i'm experiencing, it isn't an unbalanced tire but more from the motor/trans, right?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
if you're having what i'm experiencing, it isn't an unbalanced tire but more from the motor/trans, right?
Yea it feels more like a trans issue or something. Definitely not an unbalanced tire. I don't recall it in the VIII and I was just wondering if anyone was having the same issue. I was thinking maybe it's just from more wear on the clutch or something. It's not slipping tho.

It doesn't happen all the time tho. Like I said, just occasionally. I don't know why.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Yea it feels more like a trans issue or something. Definitely not an unbalanced tire. I don't recall it in the VIII and I was just wondering if anyone was having the same issue. I was thinking maybe it's just from more wear on the clutch or something. It's not slipping tho.

It doesn't happen all the time tho. Like I said, just occasionally. I don't know why.
for me it happens mainly in 4th and when going from regular light driving to higher load as boost starts to build then it fades. i don't have it in other gears.

i may have it looked at by a buddy and let you know what they think. at first i thought it was just building boost but who knows it could be something in the trans or tc.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
for me it happens mainly in 4th and when going from regular light driving to higher load as boost starts to build then it fades. i don't have it in other gears.

i may have it looked at by a buddy and let you know what they think. at first i thought it was just building boost but who knows it could be something in the trans or tc.
Yea come to think of it, when it happens it is in 4th. I hope it's not a transfer case. That would suck but would make sense. Let me know what you find out. Should be interesting..
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

will do. if it's any consolation, i've had my tranny and tc drained and out of the car twice within the past 2k miles (not because of what we're discussing) and both before and after it's felt the same. i don't think there is anything wrong with it.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine does it about every morning and it seems like once it warms up it stops. idk i just have uicp and tp and cb.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

don't listen to me. i know not of what i speak............

Last edited by dek0026; Jul 19, 2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:48 PM

my car does the almost same thing but.... i don't know cause i have aftermarket exhaust... greddy tic,,,, i was wondering whats causing the the viberation.....
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same...I notice it changes quite a bit depending on the air (temp/humidty etc)...some days it pulls very smooth...others I experience a bit of vibration. I find that building boost at certain rpms help eliminate it. Honestly, my car feels slightly different every day I drive it. Who knows what car will show up...depending on the air.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its your clutch
Old Jun 8, 2011, 04:36 PM

Help... Do i need a clutch???

Originally Posted by MDH-005
its your clutch
(reviving an old thread since i'm searching)..

Can somebody verify for me if this is true. I have the same problem now. And my mech said it is the clutch but somehow i dont think it is because it is not slipping. the vibration is way more noticeable in 4-5th gears under boost. No vibration when cruising at the same speed.

Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:29 PM

Iv noticed this with my X also, seems to be when your in too low a gear, it vibrates the entire car, i think thats just a querk the X has lol
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

What springs do you have? Try googling "vibration under acceleration after lowering springs", you'll be surprised. It has to do with the cv joints becoming unloaded due to the reduction in angle. It's hardly noticeable unless accelerating in higher gears. I had eibach springs and also experienced vibration while accelerating. I put on swift sports (not as low) and the problem is gone.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by xbaybiixsophx
Iv noticed this with my X also, seems to be when your in too low a gear, it vibrates the entire car, i think thats just a querk the X has lol
No thats not it. Thats normal for manual cars.

Quick Reply: Vibration when accelerating?