Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Idle+car stalls after driving for a while

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Idle+car stalls after driving for a while

In short trips it sometimes will never do it and have a perfectly fine idle. After driving for a while, and not always it might start doing this when the engine is well warmed up. It comes and goes. This idle issue pops up. It bounces and bounces and sometimes eventually even stalls the car. I have a Dyno tune from AMS for 40k miles now, a drop in filter, catback, and a UICP. I've checked the hose on the manifold and zip tied that sucker a long time ago and I replaced my black relay a long time ago as well. I caught it at it's worst one night so I taped it. Any Ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqxKY...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by love9sick; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Wow that's bad.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yes well...I'd like to get to the bottom of it. I don't think there is a boost leak, doesn't feel like it when I'm driving. I'm thinking fuel pump or fuel pump relay but I donno.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take it back to AMS.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

I already did a while back. The AFR and maps were fine and the tune was okay. Was wondering if anyone had anything like this happen once in a while like for me. I guess not, I'll delete the thread in a day or two.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Interested to see what is causing this... please post what it is when you find it.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not this?...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-do-asap.html
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

No, I had that issue long time ago and zip tied that hose. Unless it's cut somewhere but I don't think so.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

I see in the video that the lights would dim as the RPM would drop so the first thing that came to minde would be some sorf of power drop. Have you checked the alternator / battery?
I would go through all the relays/fuses and check to see if they are all good.
Because of the lights I am thinking electrical but could be a boost leak also maby BOV malfuntion.

Really hope it gets worked out if not take to the dealer leave out that you have a tune or if you think it is the tune have the dealer reflash.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hackerrei
I see in the video that the lights would dim as the RPM would drop so the first thing that came to minde would be some sorf of power drop. Have you checked the alternator / battery?
I would go through all the relays/fuses and check to see if they are all good.
Because of the lights I am thinking electrical but could be a boost leak also maby BOV malfuntion.

Really hope it gets worked out if not take to the dealer leave out that you have a tune or if you think it is the tune have the dealer reflash.
I don't want them to reflash, I paid good money for my tune lol. Maybe I should just replace all the black relays and not just the black one I replaced for the fuel pump?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Dude, I had that EXACT same thing happen to me when the car was new like 4 years ago. It is def. related to the tune........... Mine would stall out in about half of the time, but after a reflash it never came back..knock on wood.......... You said they looked at it awhile ago, but see if they can re-tune the car as that what took care of my issue.........good luck
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:18 PM

This might sound stupid but make sure battery terminals are tightened. I thought mine had bad alternator and turned out to be loose battery terminal that I never tightened. Oops.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by preina
This might sound stupid but make sure battery terminals are tightened. I thought mine had bad alternator and turned out to be loose battery terminal that I never tightened. Oops.
Wouldn't a loose battery terminal instantly shut the car off when it didn't get power? Why would it just keep going if you keep the revs up? The alternator takes over?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:53 AM

Had the exact same problem which drove me nuts. None of the Cobb AP OTS tunes fixed the problem. The only fix for me was to modify the OTS tune and bump up the idle rpm manually. If you have a cobb accessport try the suggested settings in the following thread:

http://www.other-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71616

Good luck!

Last edited by roy1.8t; Feb 10, 2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by roy1.8t
Had the exact same problem which drove me nuts. None of the Cobb AP OTS tunes fixed the problem. The only fix for me was to modify the OTS tune and bump up the idle rpm manually. If you have a cobb accessport try the suggested settings in the following thread:

http://www.other-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71616

Good luck!
Yea, it's back.

Thanks, This is voodoo language to me though. AMS tuned my car, I'm scared to death to plug anything myself into the ECU. So what do I tell them, if this is the case.

Quick Reply: Bad Idle+car stalls after driving for a while