Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ISSUES: Installing ETS turbo kit

Old May 4, 2014, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ISSUES: Installing ETS turbo kit

I've already e-mailed Michael and I'm sure he'll reply but since it's the weekend, I thought I'd post in here in hopes he might respond or others may chime in with their experience.

First -- not my first turbo kit install. I've done at least 10 and this is by far, the one that's kicking my butt.

I've got the ETS T3 5858 v-band kit with dual gates.

I test fit everything and it seemed good. Torqued the manifold to the head and then loosely installed the wastegates. Found out the easiest way to install the downpipe was from the bottom of the car. So, fed it up from the bottom and loosely bolted it. Dump tubes were next. Stamped/etched in each turb was "Evo X Dump 1/Evo X Dump 2". Assuming Dump 1 was for drivers side, dump 2 was passengers side, I loosely fit those to the gates.

Fitment is SNUG. So we positioned the dumps facing more towards the drivers side/driveshaft and secured the gates and dumps.

Still hitting the downpipe, we mounted the turbo and left the clamps loose enough to twist and such. I thought that this would allow me to position the downpipe away from the dumps but it isn't. The dumps are rubbing.

So, out came everything. We've tried swapping dump tubes which didn't work, tried swiveling the turbo which didn't work, tried pretty much everything. Needless to say, I had 9 hours of frustration yesterday and I can't figure out what's going on. My only thought is to cut about 4 inches off of the dumps but then exhaust, fire, etc would be pointing at the xfer case and downpipe. While I don't race, it's still probably not the best thing. Plus, I'll not have them secured with a bolt since the tabs are about an inch away from the end of the dumps.

What say you EvoM?! Any thoughts? Any experienced installers run into an issue? I know it's a stupid issue and it's probably flipping something around but I'd like to get the car running to tune next weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails ISSUES:  Installing ETS turbo kit-photo-1.jpg   ISSUES:  Installing ETS turbo kit-photo-2.jpg   ISSUES:  Installing ETS turbo kit-photo-3.jpg   ISSUES:  Installing ETS turbo kit-photo-4.jpg  
Old May 4, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
The last ETS kit I worked on that had 2 WG's had the tubes merged in to one shortly after the WG's outlets.
You should probably call and send these pics to ETS because there is little to no adjustment with the dual WG's...
Old May 4, 2014, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah. I've seen some kits like this. These dumps look like the exact same ones on their hot parts kit.
Old May 4, 2014, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Working with Michael.

Last edited by kr1s; May 6, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old May 6, 2014, 04:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Been working with the customer. Looks like we got it sorted out by rotating the turbocharger. The problem with the vband inlet/outlet turbine housing is the unlimited possibilities for install. The good thing about the vband housings is how much power they make! Going forward we are going to scribe the flange during our build process so you can clock the turbocharger exactly how we built the kit. This will help with lining up the the kit. Glad to see the customer got the kit installed an I can't wait to see the results!

Michael
Old May 6, 2014, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

So as an update real quick...I'll have a full lessons learned in a few days but....

The dumps get secured to the DP. After talking with Michael over the past few days, that's what one deal was.

The other was the clocking on the mani. Again, snug as a bug in a rug.

I've started the car to check for leaks and running out of daylight so if there are any, I'll hopefully see them tomorrow.

I'm working on polishing the IC piping now. Should have it buttoned up tomorrow. Tune on Saturday so be on the lookout.