Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help: ETS Exhaust system.

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: ETS Exhaust system.

Hi From New Zealand,

Im sorry in advance if this has all been covered in previous posts. All help, images or information would be very helpful and appreciated.

The fiancé and i purchased a JDM Evo X SST (SST was the compromise) couple of months ago. It has been in to get the front two struts replaced and had the clutches replaced in the SST.

I am starting to look at putting what money i have into the car. One of the many things i would love to do is replace the exhaust and testpipe. Looking to increase power with not alot of noise change, or as little as possible.

I have been looking at ETS V3 quiet exhaust system with their Hi Flow cat test pipe but have a few questions before ordering and getting them to ship to New Zealand.

V3 Quiet Exhaust System
High Flow Cat Test Pipe
Adapter Flange

Sorry for these basic and most likely stupid questions below.

Would i require anything else other than the three items listed?. I believe i require the flange to go between the test pipe and mid pipe?
Do i need any sort of adapter or flange to go between the down pipe and test pipe? No extra gaskets?. i can use the gaskets that are already on the OEM exhaust system?

Also i would like to install a AEM wideband AFR gauge. I know most like to fit this to the down pipe rather than the test pipe but at this stage i do not plan on replacing the down pipe. Does the ETS test pipe (link above) require and extra bung to be welded on to accommodate this?. I have heard people saying you do but the ETS site says its included.

From my reading the test pipe will require a location for the O2 sensor and another for the wide band sensor? No other bungs or items need to be fitted?

Once the O2 sensor is transferred from the original CAT to the high flow CAT test pipe will the car throw any errors?

Is there anything else i am missing here?. I will probably think up 100 more questions. I'm new to modifying cars and ask the help of anyone with experience doing such things.
Old May 15, 2019, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SavannA
Hi From New Zealand,

Im sorry in advance if this has all been covered in previous posts. All help, images or information would be very helpful and appreciated.

The fiancé and i purchased a JDM Evo X SST (SST was the compromise) couple of months ago. It has been in to get the front two struts replaced and had the clutches replaced in the SST.

I am starting to look at putting what money i have into the car. One of the many things i would love to do is replace the exhaust and testpipe. Looking to increase power with not alot of noise change, or as little as possible.

I have been looking at ETS V3 quiet exhaust system with their Hi Flow cat test pipe but have a few questions before ordering and getting them to ship to New Zealand.

V3 Quiet Exhaust System
High Flow Cat Test Pipe
Adapter Flange

Sorry for these basic and most likely stupid questions below.

Would i require anything else other than the three items listed?. I believe i require the flange to go between the test pipe and mid pipe?
Do i need any sort of adapter or flange to go between the down pipe and test pipe? No extra gaskets?. i can use the gaskets that are already on the OEM exhaust system?

Also i would like to install a AEM wideband AFR gauge. I know most like to fit this to the down pipe rather than the test pipe but at this stage i do not plan on replacing the down pipe. Does the ETS test pipe (link above) require and extra bung to be welded on to accommodate this?. I have heard people saying you do but the ETS site says its included.

From my reading the test pipe will require a location for the O2 sensor and another for the wide band sensor? No other bungs or items need to be fitted?

Once the O2 sensor is transferred from the original CAT to the high flow CAT test pipe will the car throw any errors?

Is there anything else i am missing here?. I will probably think up 100 more questions. I'm new to modifying cars and ask the help of anyone with experience doing such things.
The ETS site says the bung is included on the cat. I have the test-pipe and didnt have to have any bungs added in order to use my wideband. If you look at the picture, there is a bung that is extended a little from the main stream for your oem sensor.
It also came with all of the gaskets I needed.
You may get error codes until you get a tune, I did not.
Old May 15, 2019, 03:42 PM

Thank you 'Metal AF'

That was was my initial thought after reading their website but have had read others that required it to be fitted. So i asked ETS and this was the response.

Would another bung need to be installed in the test pipe to have the wideband and all sensors running without receiving any errors?
Answer:
Just request it in the order notes and we will make it happen. That is not something we do standard

The next question to them was regarding any flange or adaptor needed to go between the OEM downpipe and High flow CAT?
Answer:
I would grab the grimspeed adapter for between this and the OEM downpipe

grimspeed reply
It sounds like our stock Downpipe to aftermarket 3" catback adapter should work for your setup:
https://www.grimmspeed.com/stock-dp-...dapter-subaru/
However, this is made for Subaru vehicles, so I can't confirm fitment with a 3" testpipe on an Evo X due to the different flanges.

So im a little confused and thought if others have done this they would have a idea.
Old May 15, 2019, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Thank you 'Metal AF'

That was was my initial thought after reading their website but have had read others that required it to be fitted. So i asked ETS and this was the response.

Would another bung need to be installed in the test pipe to have the wideband and all sensors running without receiving any errors?
Answer:
Just request it in the order notes and we will make it happen. That is not something we do standard

The next question to them was regarding any flange or adaptor needed to go between the OEM downpipe and High flow CAT?
Answer:

grimspeed reply
It sounds like our stock Downpipe to aftermarket 3" catback adapter should work for your setup:
However, this is made for Subaru vehicles, so I can't confirm fitment with a 3" testpipe on an Evo X due to the different flanges.

So im a little confused and thought if others have done this they would have a idea.
I ordered my test pipe and v2 through MAP. Here is what it says for the HFC right on their site:

Old May 15, 2019, 06:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thank you 'Metal AF'

Answer:

Answer:

grimspeed reply

Savanna,

You will definitely need an adapter to go between a STOCK downpipe and your test pipe, since the stock downpipe is smaller than your 3" test pipe. You can get one from STM - Link below:

https://stmtuned.com/products/adapter-flange-for-evo-x

To avoid any codes, I believe you need to mount the stock 02 sensor onto the "J" bung. If it is not present, have ETS weld it on there.

I hope that helps.
Old May 15, 2019, 06:40 PM

Also, if you want one of the best exhaust gasket out there with the best seal. get Remflex. Link below also, and no I am not a STM associates.

https://stmtuned.com/products/remfle...t=212528332809

They are just one of the supported vendor here. So it's easy to recommend.
Old May 15, 2019, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by moladin
Also, if you want one of the best exhaust gasket out there with the best seal. get Remflex. Link below also, and no I am not a STM associates.

https://stmtuned.com/products/remfle...t=212528332809

They are just one of the supported vendor here. So it's easy to recommend.
Thank You moladin,

That has explained alot!.

Sorry for the amateur questions im asking. I have all the ambition without the knowledge.

Based on the image of the ETS high flow cat, it does have a j bung

You would recommend replacing gaskets rather than reusing the ones from the OEM system?. Any idea how many would be required to fit a replacement test pipe and cat back exhaust?
With my no knowledge what so ever im going to throw a guess here.

Evolution x adapter flange would work between the High flow cat and midpipe and throw a gasket on each side of the flange before joining the cat and mid pipe?. Do you think the same flange can be used between the downpipe and high flow cat? or is that something different all together?.
Old May 16, 2019, 07:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Hello,

The adapter you linked will go between the stock downpipe and our test pipe/HFC pipe. You don't need the adapter between our exhaust and our test pipe/HFC pipe.

The J-Bung is included for the stock o2 sensor as well as an o2 bung we send with a plug in it. We made that standard now so it will always come with the extra o2 bung and a plug in case you don't need it.

Basically the 3 items you linked are the perfect combination and will be all you will need for install.

Thanks,
Robert
Old May 16, 2019, 09:38 AM

If you are already replacing exhaust parts, you might as well replace the gaskets. It is a low cost item anyway.

you will obviously need a gasket at each joint, just one per joint. If the ETS kit comes with gaskets then you don’t need to buy any extras. Just make sure you secure the bolts well.

Just like Robert said, you only need one adapter flange from stock down pipe to the test pipe. The rest is all 3”, so no need for the adapter, just gasket.

considering that the adapter flange is a solid piece of metal, so ya you will need gasket on each sides.

Last edited by moladin; May 16, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old May 16, 2019, 02:22 PM

That is perfect. I will look into ordering the three items i listed in my original post.

Thank you so much to all of you who went out of your way to offer help without criticism. You have made my first post a great experience. You have great knowledge and are willing to offer help to someone like myself.