EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   Buschur Racing's Air Intake shield (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/352470-buschur-racings-air-intake-shield.html)

David Buschur Jun 19, 2008 09:33 AM

Buschur Racing's Air Intake shield

1 Attachment(s)
The EVOX has an idle problem with an open element filter in place when the a/c is on in the car. The idle will stumble.

We were made aware of this from a customer or two and then we had some paperwork forwarded to us from Mitsubishi talking about the problem.

The problem is caused by hot air being forced from the fan on the radiator into the air filter, this throws off both the intake air temps and MAF rate causing the car to stumble when the fan cycles.

With every problem there is a solution. Below is our solution to the problem. These shields will end up being used in all of our filter kits for the EVOX. I do not have final pricing yet. The shields will be available in powder coated black initially with the possibility of a carbon fiber piece coming too, depending on the price.

Here is the picture of the front side. The end and opposite side are open to draw air in. The bottom fits over the filter and the clamp holds both pieces on:

scheides Jun 19, 2008 10:00 AM

How close does this get to the edge of the filter? This was less of a problem on the VIII's and IX's because the filter was further away from and not directly in front of the radiator. Nice piece.

Rguy Jun 19, 2008 10:12 AM

Pic of it installed?

AWD Motorsports Jun 19, 2008 10:16 AM

Nice Piece!! Itll look great powdercoated black.. I bet there would be some interest in carbon as well!!

David Buschur Jun 19, 2008 11:50 AM

I do not have a picture on the car yet. Soon, next week. I just wanted to get a picture of it out there as there will be many released in the future and wanted to show what we are doing first, rather than after someone else made them and showed pictures. Then the "copy" thing can't be pointed at us.

mitsuorder Jun 19, 2008 12:10 PM

David,

Any interest in making something like this for your VIII/IX intake? These cars suffer from the same thing not to mention the down falls of super heated intake temps.

mitsuorder

Thegame Jun 19, 2008 12:12 PM

Won't that cause an adverse flow affect though?

David Buschur Jun 19, 2008 12:43 PM

There is a good sized air gap between the shield and filter, it will not effect air flow.

I don't see this piece being made for the EVO 8-9 as it hasn't been an issue like it is on the EVOX.

Rguy Jun 19, 2008 12:46 PM

Hopefully we can get this soon. I got a piece of board blocking the AC fan air now. lol

LilRico Jun 19, 2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur (Post 5793590)
I don't see this piece being made for the EVO 8-9 as it hasn't been an issue like it is on the EVOX.

I too would love to see this for the VIII or IX because those of us who have after market hoods, it looks like it will block rain from hitting the filter like those of us who have a Siebon Hood... Just a thought...

vwjeff Jun 19, 2008 07:20 PM

Holy Sh*t this thing is nice!!!! I want 1 just because?!

flyboytb Jun 19, 2008 07:23 PM

lol no s***.

s*** looks hot. very "thinking outside of the box" design.

SpeedI2acerX Jun 19, 2008 09:17 PM

can this fit with "other" aftermarket filters? i.e. autozone special:lol:

StevenStarke Jun 19, 2008 11:02 PM

I've heard of this problem too, but I dont understand why it never happened to me. I have an open element filter and never had on issue with the AC being on

Noize Jun 20, 2008 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur (Post 5793286)
I do not have a picture on the car yet. Soon, next week. I just wanted to get a picture of it out there as there will be many released in the future and wanted to show what we are doing first, rather than after someone else made them and showed pictures. Then the "copy" thing can't be pointed at us.

Vendor bashing crap removed.
This thread is about the BR intake shield. If you would like to talk about what intakes you prefer or would use, I'll start a thread. Please do not hijack this one.

Also, please stop asking for pics installed. See the above quoted post (emphasis mine).